Chapter 40: You're Mine

Carlos takes me home around 11:00 p.m. On the ride home, I can't help but think about what Michael would be doing. I'm curious to know how he wants to end his day. Probably with one of his friends. 

We arrive at my driveway and I say goodbye to Carlos and his date with whom he will spend the rest of the night at a club. As much as they insisted that I go with them, I preferred to stay home. Besides, I don't want to be third wheeling.

Shit, the heels are already killing me.

I take them off, I don't care who sees me. I sigh when I feel the cold floor, it feels so good. I get to my door and start looking for my keys, but I can't find them. Fuck. Had they fallen in Carlos's car? or at the entrance of the building?

I better hurry up and look for them before they get lost and be really sleeping outside my house. I wait for the elevator and when it opens its doors, I get speechless.

"The modern Cinderella, instead of leaving her shoe, leaves her keys on the floor." Michael laughs softly, raising his hand, dangling my keys. "I believe this is yours."

Of course he knew it was mine because of the Minnie keychain that he gave me. Before the elevator door closes, he jumps out. That makes me laugh because it looked cute.

"Thank you." That's all I manage to say.

I don't know what else to say. I'm surprised that he's here, and I can't do anything but look at him, admiring how handsome he looks today with his black suit, white shirt, and half-tied hair. But that doesn't take away the big question I have in my head.

"What are you doing here?"

"I... I wanted to apologize to you. I don't even know why I apologize anymore. I always end up doing something that takes you away from me." He says, keeping his distance from me. "But yes, I moved quickly when someone was leaving so I could enter. I thought that if I called, you wouldn't let me pass. I'm taking enough risks just by being in this hallway." Michael shows half a smile and then looks down. He looks kind of nervous.

"Apologies accepted." I look at him smiling, deep down feeling how my heart is racing, assimilating what he just said and my mind still making sure that he is really in front of me.

I turn to open the door, but he remains standing where he is, with his hands in his pockets.

"Do you want to come in?"

"I just came to apologize, I don't want to make you uncomfortable, though."

"If you have to go, that's fine." I laugh and look at my phone checking the time. "Enjoy the last fifty minutes of your birthday."

"Meh... I have nothing else to do, and anyway I would rather be standing in front of you even if you ignore me, than somewhere else with someone else or alone in my hotel."

Why does he have to say these sweet things and make it harder for me to not want to go hug and kiss him? I open the door and he comes in behind me. My dog ​​gets excited when she sees me, but when she sees him, her tail almost falls off because of how fast she moves it with excitement.

Definitely Michaels effect.

He sits on one of the couches, with the dog on his lap, while I leave my things aside and sit on the couch in front of him. 

"Do you want something to drink? I have wine and beer" I ask him, standing up. At least if we are going to talk for a while, it's better to drink something with alcohol than to have a dry mouth.

"Beer is good for me, thank you."

I go to the kitchen, get him a beer and pour myself a glass of wine. I'm pouring my wine, when I feel him behind me.