Cracks open wider

Chapter : Cracks Open Wider

The night had passed with an uneasy quiet settling in after Y/N’s emotional breakdown. Billie and Finneas had stayed by her side, holding her, whispering words of comfort that seemed to blend into the silence. They didn’t push her to say more, didn’t pry, but they had felt the weight of the unspoken truths hanging in the air.

Now, it was morning, and the sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a soft glow over the living room. Y/N sat on the couch, wrapped in one of Billie’s oversized hoodies, her knees pulled up to her chest. Her eyes were puffy from crying, and she looked exhausted, but there was a sense of calm, like the storm from the night before had passed, leaving a fragile peace in its wake.

Finneas and Billie sat across from her, exchanging glances, silently asking each other what the next step was. They knew they had to talk about it, had to address the deeper things Y/N had shared—but they also knew it had to be on her terms.

Billie was the first to speak, her voice soft and careful. “Y/N… we don’t want to push you. But we think it’s important to talk about some of the things you mentioned last night. Only if you’re ready.”

Y/N didn’t respond immediately, just kept staring down at her knees, her fingers nervously picking at the sleeves of her hoodie. She knew what they wanted to talk about. And part of her did too—part of her needed to let it out.

After a long moment, she nodded slightly, her voice barely above a whisper. “I guess… I guess I should.”

Finneas leaned forward, his gaze soft and filled with concern. “We’re here. Whatever it is, whatever you need to say, we’re not going anywhere.”

Y/N took a deep breath, feeling the familiar tightening in her chest as she tried to put her thoughts into words. The weight of it all pressed down on her, making it hard to breathe, but she forced herself to speak.

“I just… I feel like I’ve been drowning,” she said, her voice trembling. “For a long time now. And I didn’t know how to say it. I thought… if I just kept pretending I was fine, maybe it would go away. But it hasn’t.”

Billie reached out, gently placing her hand on Y/N’s knee, offering silent support. “You don’t have to pretend anymore. Not with us.”

Y/N nodded, but her gaze remained distant, as if she were lost in her own thoughts. “It’s not just the music… it’s everything. The comments, the pressure, the feeling that no matter what I do, it’s never enough. And then there’s… the thoughts.”

Finneas’ heart sank at the mention of “the thoughts.” He knew what she meant. They both did.

Y/N hesitated, biting her lip before continuing. “I know I said last night that I’d never do it, and I meant that. But… it’s hard. Sometimes it feels like everything would be easier if I wasn’t here. I know that’s not true, but it feels like that sometimes.”

Her words hung in the air like a weight, pressing down on all of them. Billie’s grip on her knee tightened, her eyes filled with tears she was trying to hold back.

“We love you,” Billie whispered, her voice thick with emotion. “So much. And we’re going to get you through this. You’re not alone in this, Y/N. We’re with you every step of the way.”

Y/N’s eyes filled with tears again, and she wiped at them angrily. “I know you love me. But sometimes… I just feel like I’m a burden. Like I’m too much to handle.”

Finneas shook his head, his voice firm but gentle. “You’re not a burden. You’re our little sister, and we love you. Whatever you’re going through, we’re going through it with you. We’re not giving up on you, no matter how hard it gets.”

Y/N nodded, but the tears continued to spill down her cheeks. “It’s just… I don’t know how to stop feeling this way. And then there’s all the online stuff, the people saying things about me, about you guys. It’s like I can’t escape it, no matter where I go.”

Billie’s heart ached at the sight of her sister in so much pain. She moved closer, pulling Y/N into a gentle hug. “We’re going to figure this out,” she murmured, her voice full of love. “We’ll find a way to make things better, okay? You don’t have to carry this on your own anymore.”

Y/N clung to Billie, her body trembling with the weight of her emotions. “I just don’t want to feel like this anymore.”

Finneas sat beside them, his voice steady but full of compassion. “And you won’t always feel like this. There’s help out there, and we’ll find it together. But for now, just take it one day at a time. You don’t have to have all the answers right now.”

Y/N nodded into Billie’s shoulder, her tears slowly subsiding. It felt like a small weight had been lifted off her chest, just by talking about it. But there was still so much more underneath the surface—so much she didn’t know how to deal with.

After a long moment, she pulled back from Billie’s embrace, wiping her face. “I don’t know what to do next,” she admitted, her voice small.

Billie and Finneas exchanged a look, then Finneas spoke gently. “We’ll figure it out together. But maybe… maybe it’s time to get some help. Real help.”

Y/N looked up at him, her eyes filled with uncertainty. “You mean like therapy?”

Billie nodded. “Yeah. I know you don’t want to talk to a therapist, but it might really help. You don’t have to do this alone, Y/N. There are people who can help you figure out how to deal with all of this.”

Y/N bit her lip, unsure. The idea of talking to a stranger about everything felt overwhelming, but at the same time, she was tired. Tired of pretending, tired of feeling like she was drowning.

“I’ll think about it,” she said quietly.

Finneas smiled gently. “That’s all we ask. Just think about it. We’ll be with you every step of the way.”

They sat in silence for a while after that, the weight of the conversation still heavy, but the air felt a little lighter. Y/N knew she wasn’t okay, not yet—but maybe, just maybe, she was finally ready to start finding a way out of the darkness.

And for now, that was enough.