A Fractured Reality

Chapter: A Fractured Reality

The hospital room was dimly lit, casting long shadows on the sterile white walls. Y/N’s breathing was shallow as she lay still, her body stiff from the pain. Every movement hurt. Her muscles ached, and her bruises throbbed beneath the thin hospital gown. But the physical pain was nothing compared to the fear that clung to her, consuming her from the inside out.

Billie sat by the bed, her fingers lightly resting on the side of Y/N’s arm, careful not to startle her. She hadn’t moved much since they arrived. Finneas sat on the other side, watching his sister with worried eyes. The silence between them was heavy, filled with unspoken fears and exhaustion.

In the hallway outside, their parents stood arguing with a nurse. Billie could hear their mother’s raised voice, insisting that they be allowed to stay with Y/N. It was after visiting hours, and the hospital’s rules were strict: no more than two visitors at a time in the room.

“But she needs us!” their mother’s voice cracked. “She’s terrified, she’s hurt—how can you expect us to just leave?”

The nurse remained calm, though her voice carried a firm resolve. “I understand your concerns, but hospital policy is in place for a reason. We cannot allow more than two visitors at a time. You need to rest, too. You can come back first thing in the morning.”

Their father’s voice joined in, quieter but no less strained. “We can’t leave her alone. Please.”

The tension in the hallway only made the atmosphere in Y/N’s room feel heavier. Billie glanced over at Finneas, who met her gaze with a mixture of frustration and helplessness. They both knew their parents wouldn’t win this argument.

Y/N stirred slightly, her eyes barely open as she struggled to keep her focus. The fear in her gaze was unmistakable, and Billie felt her heart clench at the sight. She wasn’t used to seeing her sister like this—so fragile, so small.

“Y/N,” Billie whispered softly, leaning in a little closer. “Mom and Dad are just outside. They’ll be back soon.”

Y/N’s lip quivered as she tried to speak, her voice barely audible. “I… don’t want them to leave.”

Billie bit her lip, trying to hold back her own tears. “I know. But Finneas and I are staying. We won’t leave you, okay?”

Y/N nodded weakly, though her eyes were filled with uncertainty. She didn’t want to be alone, but at the same time, the overwhelming presence of anyone—even her own family—felt suffocating. The fear was like a constant hum in the back of her mind, buzzing louder with every second.

In the hallway, the argument finally died down. Their parents re-entered the room, their faces tight with worry. Their mother walked over to Y/N, gently smoothing her hair back from her forehead. “Sweetheart, we’re going to go for the night,” she said softly, though her voice trembled with emotion. “We’ll be back first thing in the morning. Billie and Finneas are staying with you.”

Y/N’s eyes filled with tears, her body trembling slightly. “I—can’t—”

“You’re safe,” their father interrupted, his voice gentle but firm. “You’re safe now. We’ll be back before you know it.”

The decision had been made after a long argument, and though their parents didn’t want to leave, they knew they had to. It was for Y/N’s sake—too many people in the room might overwhelm her. They leaned down, giving her soft kisses on the forehead before slowly retreating from the room, leaving Billie and Finneas alone with their sister.

The door closed with a soft click, and for a moment, the room was swallowed in silence.

Y/N stared up at the ceiling, her breathing shallow and her body tense. Every little sound—the soft beep of the machines, the distant chatter in the hall—made her flinch. She felt trapped in her own skin, too scared to move, too scared to let anyone in. Her mind was a storm of memories she wanted to forget—memories of the man’s angry voice, the pain, the helplessness.

Finneas leaned forward, his voice soft but filled with concern. “How are you feeling, Y/N? Do you need anything?”

Y/N’s eyes flickered toward him, but she didn’t answer. She wanted to tell him how scared she was, how much everything hurt, but the words stuck in her throat. She felt like she was drowning in her own silence.

Billie squeezed Y/N’s hand gently, trying to offer some comfort. “It’s okay to be scared. You don’t have to pretend you’re okay.”

For a long moment, Y/N didn’t respond. She closed her eyes, her breathing shallow as she tried to push the fear away. But it was no use—it clung to her like a second skin, suffocating her.

“I just want to feel normal again,” she finally whispered, her voice cracking with pain. “But I don’t know if I ever will.”

Billie and Finneas exchanged a glance, their hearts breaking for their sister. They knew healing would take time, but they hadn’t realized just how deeply the wounds had cut.