Billie

Chapter 32: billie

The morning sunlight streamed through the curtains, casting a soft glow in the room, but it did nothing to lift Y/N’s mood. She lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, feeling a heaviness in her chest that she couldn’t shake. It was like the excitement of the previous days had vanished, replaced by a familiar sense of emptiness.

When she finally dragged herself out of bed, she wandered downstairs, her steps slow and deliberate. Finneas and Billie were already in the kitchen, their usual banter filling the air.

“Morning!” Billie greeted with a wide smile, but Y/N just nodded, avoiding her sister’s gaze. She grabbed an apple from the counter and headed for the living room without saying anything.

Billie frowned, clearly confused. “Is everything okay, Y/N?”

Y/N didn’t answer, just kept walking, disappearing into the other room. Finneas watched her closely, his eyes narrowing as he picked up on the subtle shift in her behavior. Something wasn’t right.

“Did I do something wrong?” Billie asked, her tone unsure. “She barely looked at me.”

“I don’t know,” Finneas said quietly, his eyes still on the doorway where Y/N had gone. “She’s been off for the last couple of days, but this feels different.”

Billie sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. “Maybe I should talk to her.”

Finneas shook his head gently. “Give her some space for now. I’ll check on her in a bit. Sometimes it’s easier for her to talk when it’s just the two of us.”

Billie looked torn, but she trusted Finneas’ judgment. “Okay, but let me know if I should step in. I don’t want her shutting us out.”

Finneas nodded, though his own concern was growing. He had noticed Y/N’s energy dip before, but today was different. She seemed more distant, and the way she avoided Billie didn’t sit right with him.

An hour later, Y/N was sitting on the couch, strumming her guitar absentmindedly. The notes sounded hollow, her heart clearly not in it. Finneas entered the room and sat across from her, watching as her fingers moved mechanically over the strings.

“You okay, Y/N?” he asked, his voice gentle.

Y/N shrugged, not looking up. “Just tired, I guess.”

“You’ve been avoiding Billie,” Finneas said carefully, not wanting to push too hard but also needing to understand. “Did something happen?”

Y/N’s fingers stilled on the guitar, her shoulders tensing. “No,” she said quickly, a little too quickly. “I just... I don’t know. It’s nothing.”

“It doesn’t seem like nothing,” Finneas pressed softly. “You can tell me if something’s bothering you. You know that, right?”

Y/N sighed, setting the guitar aside and burying her face in her hands. “I don’t know why I feel like this,” she mumbled, her voice muffled. “Everything’s fine, but I just—” She paused, struggling to find the words. “It’s like I can’t face her. Billie’s so... perfect. She has everything together, and I feel like I’m falling apart.”

Finneas’ heart broke a little at her confession. “Y/N, Billie isn’t perfect. She has her struggles too. You don’t have to compare yourself to her.”

“I know,” Y/N whispered, her voice shaky. “But it’s hard. Everyone expects me to be like her. Even when I’m doing my own thing, it feels like I’m always in her shadow.”

Finneas reached over, gently squeezing her hand. “You’re not in anyone’s shadow, Y/N. You’re making your own path, and we’re so proud of you for that. Billie included.”

Y/N shook her head. “It doesn’t feel like enough. Sometimes I feel like I’m just disappointing everyone.”

“You’re not disappointing anyone,” Finneas said firmly. “We just want you to be happy, and if you’re not, we’ll help you figure it out. You don’t have to do this alone.”

For a moment, Y/N didn’t respond. She stared down at her hands, her mind swirling with doubt and anxiety. The weight of everything—the pressure, the expectations, her own insecurities—it felt like too much.

“I just need some time,” Y/N finally said, her voice barely above a whisper. “I’ll talk to Billie later. I just... need to figure out how.”

Finneas nodded, respecting her need for space. “Take all the time you need. Just know that we’re here when you’re ready.”

Y/N gave him a small, grateful smile, but the sadness in her eyes lingered. Finneas felt a pang of helplessness, wishing he could take away her pain, but knowing that all he could do was be there for her.

Later in the afternoon, Billie poked her head into the living room, glancing between Finneas and Y/N. “Hey, I’m heading out for a bit. You guys good?”

Y/N nodded, still avoiding eye contact. “Yeah.”

Billie lingered for a second, clearly wanting to say more but sensing that Y/N wasn’t ready. “Okay. I’ll be back later.”

After Billie left, the silence in the house felt even more oppressive. Finneas glanced at Y/N, who had retreated into herself again, staring blankly at her phone screen.

He didn’t say anything, just sat with her, offering his presence as a quiet support. Eventually, Y/N leaned into him, her head resting on his shoulder.

“I’m scared, Finneas,” she whispered, her voice small and fragile.

“I know,” he whispered back, wrapping an arm around her. “But we’ll get through this. Together.”