Facing the tension

Chapter 33: Facing the Tension

Billie walked back into the house just as the sun began to set, the soft golden light filtering through the windows. The energy in the house felt heavy, and she could feel it the moment she stepped through the door. She had been thinking about Y/N the whole time she was out, worried about the strange distance between them.

She dropped her bag by the door and headed into the living room, where she found Y/N and Finneas sitting on the couch. Y/N was leaning into her brother, her face turned away slightly, her eyes fixed on the floor.

"Hey," Billie said softly, trying not to sound too concerned. "How's everything been while I was gone?"

Y/N didn’t respond, but Finneas gave Billie a reassuring nod. “We’re okay,” he said, though his tone was careful, knowing the situation was still delicate.

Billie took a breath and sat down on the edge of the couch. The tension in the room was thick, but she wasn’t sure how to break through it. She had always been able to connect with Y/N, to get her to open up, but now there was a wall between them that she didn’t know how to navigate.

Y/N shifted uncomfortably, pulling away slightly from Finneas as if she sensed Billie’s presence would soon bring a conversation she wasn’t ready for.

Billie glanced at Finneas, silently asking if now was the right time. Finneas shrugged slightly, as if to say he wasn’t sure either.

"Y/N," Billie finally said, keeping her voice soft. "Can we talk? I’ve noticed something’s been off, and I want to make sure you’re okay. You don’t have to tell me everything, but... I’m here."

Y/N tensed, her fingers clutching the hem of her sweater as if she were trying to hold herself together. “I don’t know what to say,” she muttered. “I don’t even know how I feel.”

Billie’s heart broke a little at that, her concern deepening. “That’s okay. We don’t have to figure it all out right now. I just want to understand what’s going on so I can help.”

Y/N finally lifted her eyes to meet Billie’s, and for the first time in days, there was a flicker of something—fear, frustration, and sadness all mixed together.

“I don’t know if you can help,” Y/N said quietly, her voice wavering. “I don’t even know if I can help myself.”

Billie scooted closer, her hand reaching out but not touching Y/N just yet, as if giving her space to decide if she wanted comfort. “You don’t have to figure everything out on your own. That’s what we’re here for, right? Me and Finneas—we’ve got you.”

Y/N shook her head, her breath hitching. “I’ve been trying, Billie. But it feels like... no matter what I do, I’m either not enough or I’m too much. I don’t know how to just be.”

Billie exchanged a glance with Finneas, who looked equally worried but stayed silent, letting Billie take the lead.

“You don’t have to be anything other than who you are,” Billie said gently. “And we’re not expecting you to be anyone else. You’re our sister. That’s all that matters.”

There was a long pause, and then Y/N whispered, “I’ve been avoiding you because... I feel like I’m not living up to everything people expect. Especially with you around, Billie. Everyone compares me to you. And I can’t be you.”

Billie’s heart sank, the weight of Y/N’s words hitting hard. She hadn’t realized how much pressure Y/N had been feeling, or how much she’d been internalizing the comparisons. “Y/N, you don’t have to be me,” Billie said firmly. “I never want you to feel like you’re in my shadow. You’re incredible just as you are, and I hate that you feel like you have to live up to some version of me.”

Y/N looked down again, silent.

Finneas finally spoke, his voice calm but filled with emotion. “We love you, Y/N, not because of who you think you should be, but because of who you are. You’re strong, and you’re talented, and you’ve got so much heart. And no one else can do what you do.”

For the first time, Y/N’s resolve seemed to crack. Her eyes glistened with unshed tears, and her voice was a whisper. “I just don’t know how to handle all of this sometimes. The pressure, the attention, the comments... it’s all too much.”

Billie finally reached out and gently touched Y/N’s shoulder, her voice soft and full of understanding. “You don’t have to handle it alone. We’ll figure this out together. If things are too much right now, maybe we can take a step back. Focus on just being with each other, like we used to.”

Y/N looked between Billie and Finneas, her expression vulnerable. “I don’t want to let anyone down.”

“You won’t,” Finneas assured her. “We’re your family. You come first.”

There was a long moment of silence before Y/N finally let herself lean into Billie’s arms. Billie held her close, her own heart breaking at the thought of Y/N carrying so much pressure. Finneas moved closer too, his hand resting gently on Y/N’s back as the three of them sat together, united in their love and concern for each other.

Eventually, Y/N’s breathing steadied, and the tension that had been hanging over them like a cloud began to lift, if only just a little.

“We’re here,” Billie whispered, her voice soothing. “No matter what, we’re here.”

And for the first time in a long while, Y/N believed them.