Childhood

Chapter 46: Childhood

Y/N stirred slowly, the warmth of Finneas’s arms wrapping around her like a comforting blanket. As she blinked her eyes open, the soft light of the afternoon streamed into the room, illuminating the familiar faces of her brother and sister watching over her.

“Hey there, sleepyhead,” Billie said softly, a gentle smile breaking across her face.

Y/N rubbed her eyes, still half-dazed. “What time is it?” she mumbled, her voice thick with sleep.

“Just past noon,” Finneas replied, carefully adjusting his position to avoid waking her too abruptly. “We thought we’d let you rest a bit longer.”

Y/N glanced between them, confusion flickering in her eyes as she sat up slowly. “What’s going on?”

Billie exchanged a look with Finneas, both of them recognizing the slight edge of uncertainty in Y/N’s voice. “We wanted to spend some time with you, just the three of us. No pressure, just… fun.”

Y/N’s brow furrowed slightly, still wrapped in the fog of sleep and the heaviness of her emotions. “Fun?”

“Yeah,” Finneas encouraged, trying to infuse his tone with warmth. “Remember all the games we used to play? We thought maybe you’d like to pick one.”

Y/N looked hesitant, but the mention of childhood games sparked a flicker of curiosity. “Like what?”

Billie leaned forward, her excitement genuine. “How about some board games? Or we could watch your favorite movie? You know, the one with the dancing penguins?”

Y/N’s lips twitched slightly, but it didn’t quite reach her eyes. “I don’t know…”

Finneas sensed her hesitation and decided to change tactics. “What about drawing? We could pull out the art supplies and just make a mess. Remember those times we covered the floor with crayons and markers?”

A small smile began to form, but Y/N quickly suppressed it, pulling her knees back to her chest. “I’m not really in the mood for that.”

Billie and Finneas shared a concerned glance, sensing the fragility in Y/N’s demeanor. “We get it,” Billie said, her voice soft. “But you don’t have to pretend with us. We’re here to just… hang out. No pressure, okay?”

Y/N nodded slowly but remained curled up, her body language still tense. Finneas took a deep breath, leaning in a little closer. “How about we start with a snack? Something you love?”

“Like what?” Y/N asked, still unsure.

“Your favorite—popcorn and chocolate,” Finneas suggested. “We can make it a movie marathon. Just us three.”

Y/N hesitated but finally nodded, her eyes darting to the kitchen. “Okay… I guess that could be fun.”

Billie’s face lit up with encouragement. “Great! Let’s make it a whole thing. You pick the movie, and we’ll do all the snacks.”

As they moved to the kitchen, Y/N felt a tiny spark of excitement amidst the heaviness. Finneas began popping popcorn while Billie pulled out chocolate bars and some sweets. Y/N watched them, the familiar sight of her siblings working together sparking something within her.

“Want to help?” Billie asked, turning to Y/N with a bright smile.

Y/N hesitated, glancing between the popcorn and her siblings. “I can… try.”

Billie’s heart soared a little at the small step. “Perfect! Just like old times.”

As Y/N approached, her movements were slow but deliberate. Finneas handed her a bowl, and she filled it with fluffy popcorn, the buttery scent wafting through the air. For the first time that day, she felt a flicker of normalcy, as if she was stepping back into a world where happiness existed, even if just for a moment.

With the snacks ready, they gathered on the couch, Y/N nestled between her siblings. She felt their warmth beside her, their familiar presence wrapping around her like a safety net. Finneas started scrolling through their movie options, and Billie leaned in close, pointing out old favorites.

“Remember when we watched this one on repeat?” she laughed, nudging Y/N playfully. “You’d dance around the living room pretending to be a penguin.”

Y/N’s lips quirked slightly, the memory teasing at the edges of her mind. “I… I remember that,” she whispered.

“That’s the spirit!” Finneas said, his voice encouraging. “Which one do you want?”

As they picked a movie, Y/N felt the warmth of laughter and nostalgia begin to seep back into her heart. She knew the shadows were still lurking, but for this moment, surrounded by her siblings, she could pretend they didn’t exist.

As the movie started and the popcorn bowl was passed around, Y/N found herself laughing at the silly moments, the sound feeling foreign yet familiar. It wasn’t a full laugh, but it was a step. And for Billie and Finneas, that small sound was everything.

They wouldn’t stop until they brought their sister back, piece by piece, moment by moment. Today was just the beginning, but they were ready to fight for her happiness. Together.