A day of play

Chapter 22: A Day of Play

The next day, Billie, Finneas, and Y/N decided to take a break from the pressures of music and social media. They planned a family activity—something simple yet fun to remind them all of their bond.

“Let’s go to the arcade!” Billie suggested, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. “We haven’t done that in forever!”

Y/N’s face lit up at the idea. “Oh my gosh, yes! I used to love the racing games!”

“Then it’s settled,” Finneas said with a grin. “Let’s see who can get the highest score!”

As they arrived at the arcade, the bright lights and sounds enveloped them, transporting Y/N back to a time when her biggest worries were beating her high score or picking the right candy from the vending machine. She felt a rush of nostalgia, her previous anxieties momentarily forgotten.

Running to the racing game, Y/N hopped into the driver’s seat, her laughter echoing as she adjusted the steering wheel. “Get ready to lose!” she called out to her siblings.

Billie and Finneas joined her, laughter filling the air as they settled into their own cars. They spent the next hour racing, competing fiercely while enjoying the thrill of the games. Y/N's competitive spirit shone through, and for the first time in a while, she felt carefree.

After a series of games, they took a break at the snack bar, sharing cotton candy and popcorn. Y/N couldn’t stop giggling, her earlier worries fading as she engaged in playful banter with her siblings.

“You’re all so slow!” she teased, a playful smirk on her face. “I’m the ultimate champion!”

Finneas laughed, shaking his head. “Yeah, right! I’ll beat you next time!”

In that moment, it was easy to forget that Y/N was just sixteen, a rising star navigating the complexities of fame and mental health. Watching her act like a kid again reminded Billie and Finneas of how young she really was, and it filled them with warmth.

But as the day went on, Billie began to notice subtle changes in Y/N’s demeanor. While she was playful and energetic, there were moments when Y/N seemed distracted, almost secretive. When they talked about plans for the future or the upcoming fan meet-up, Y/N would smile but quickly shift the conversation.

“Are you excited about the fan meet-up?” Finneas asked at one point, his tone light.

“Yeah, I guess,” Y/N replied, her voice trailing off as she focused intently on the arcade game in front of her. “But it’ll be fine.”

Billie exchanged a glance with Finneas, concern flickering in her chest. It was as if Y/N was holding something back, and the playful façade occasionally slipped.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Billie asked gently, hoping to coax her sister into sharing. “You can talk to us, you know.”

Y/N turned to her, her expression momentarily serious before a bright smile returned. “I’m great! Just having fun!”

As the sun began to set, they played a few more games before finally heading back home. Y/N’s laughter echoed in the car, but Billie couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off.

Once they arrived, Y/N dashed to her room, her energy still high. Billie and Finneas exchanged worried glances, each sensing the unspoken tension.

“Do you think she’s okay?” Finneas asked, concern etched on his face.

“I don’t know,” Billie replied, her brow furrowed. “She seems happy, but there’s something deeper there. I just hope she knows she can come to us about anything.”

They both knew the importance of open communication, especially given everything Y/N had been facing. Whatever secrets she was holding, they vowed to keep the lines of conversation open, hoping she would feel safe enough to share when she was ready.