The secrets of the screen

Chapter 52: The Secrets of the Screen

Finneas glanced over at Y/N, whose face was a tight mask of concentration, her fingers flying over her phone’s screen. He tried to shake the uneasy feeling settling in his gut. The way she flinched whenever they got too close, the way she refused to talk—something was definitely off.

Billie was sitting on the armrest of the couch, her own phone in hand, scrolling through contacts. She was about to make a call when Finneas caught a glimpse of Y/N’s screen. His heart dropped.

There, at the top of the screen, was a name he hadn’t seen in ages. Her ex. The guy who had caused so much pain back then, who they had helped her distance herself from. Finneas felt a surge of protective anger rise in his chest, but he kept his voice steady.

“Y/N,” he said softly, not wanting to startle her. “Why are you texting him?”

Y/N froze. Her eyes flicked to him, wide and panicked, before she quickly locked her phone and shoved it under her leg. “I’m not.”

Finneas raised an eyebrow. He didn’t want to push, but he couldn’t just let this slide. “I saw the name, Y/N. What’s going on?”

Y/N’s face turned red, not with embarrassment, but with frustration. “It’s nothing, okay? It’s just—he reached out first, and…I just wanted to see what he had to say.”

Billie, who had been listening, put down her phone. “Wait, him? Why are you even talking to him again?”

Y/N crossed her arms, her whole posture defensive. “It’s not like that. I’m just—curious.”

“Curious about what?” Finneas asked, trying to stay calm, but his voice betrayed his concern. “This guy hurt you, Y/N. Why give him any of your time?”

Y/N’s face tightened. “You don’t understand. It’s not like we’re getting back together or anything. He just…he said he missed talking to me. That’s all.”

Billie shook her head, her worry deepening. “Y/N, that’s not healthy. He’s bad news. We just don’t want you to get hurt again.”

“I’m not getting hurt!” Y/N snapped, standing up abruptly. “I’m not some little kid you both have to protect. I can handle it. I just—I’m not doing anything wrong.”

Billie and Finneas exchanged glances, both of them unsure of how to reach her. Y/N had built a wall around herself, and with every attempt to help, she only seemed to push them further away.

Billie’s phone buzzed, and she glanced down at it, her expression hardening. “I think it’s time we get some real help, Y/N.” She looked back up at her sister, her eyes filled with concern. “I’ve called a therapist. They’re going to talk to you.”

Y/N’s face twisted in anger. “No,” she said, shaking her head furiously. “I don’t need to talk to anyone. I’m fine. It’s a waste of time.”

“It’s not a waste of time,” Finneas said, his voice soft but firm. “You’ve been struggling for a while now, Y/N. We see it. We’re just trying to help you.”

Y/N turned away, crossing her arms tightly over her chest. “I don’t need help. I’m fine. You’re overreacting.”

“Y/N, please,” Billie pleaded, her voice cracking. “We just want you to feel better. Talking to someone doesn’t mean you’re weak. It means you’re strong enough to want to get better.”

Y/N shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes, but she blinked them away before they could fall. “I’m not doing it.”

The room fell into a heavy silence, the weight of Y/N’s refusal hanging in the air. Billie and Finneas both looked at each other, their hearts aching with helplessness. They wanted to fix things, but Y/N wasn’t ready to let them in. Not yet.

Finally, Y/N muttered under her breath, “I’m going upstairs.”

She stormed out of the room, leaving her siblings behind, the sound of her footsteps fading up the stairs. Finneas ran a hand through his hair, exhaling deeply. “What do we do?”

Billie sighed, sinking back onto the couch. “I don’t know. But we can’t just leave her like this.”

They both sat in silence for a moment, the helplessness settling deeper. Billie stared down at her phone, still thinking about the therapist she had on call. Y/N’s refusal had hit harder than either of them expected. They knew she needed help—but forcing her to talk wasn’t going to work.

Finneas broke the silence. “Maybe we just need to keep being there. No matter how hard it gets.”

Billie nodded slowly, but the worry in her eyes didn’t fade. “I just hope it’s enough.”