shielded from the storm

Chapter 13: Shielded from the Storm

The drive home was quiet, with only the soft hum of the car and the distant sounds of traffic outside. Y/N rested her head against the window, exhausted from everything that had happened. Billie sat beside her, occasionally checking in with a glance, while Finneas kept his eyes forward, his face unreadable.

Y/N didn’t know it yet, but the paparazzi had already started posting the pictures and videos from outside the car. They had caught everything—her panic, her tears, and the way she had crumbled under the pressure of the flashing cameras.

Finneas’s phone buzzed in his pocket, and he glanced at the screen, his expression hardening as he saw the headlines. He quickly scrolled through the posts, his stomach twisting with anger. There were dozens of photos, along with videos showing Y/N’s panic attack. The captions were insensitive, speculating on her mental health, mocking her for breaking down in public.

He clenched his jaw, his fingers tightening around the phone. The last thing Y/N needed was to see this.

Without a word, he texted Billie:

Finneas: They’ve posted the pics and vids. Keep her away from her phone for now.

Billie read the message discreetly, her eyes narrowing as she glanced at Y/N, who was still leaning against the window, oblivious. She quickly slipped her phone back into her pocket, deciding not to say anything. They couldn’t control what the paparazzi did, but they could control how Y/N saw it. For now, all they wanted was to protect her from the cruel world that seemed intent on tearing her down.

When they finally pulled into the driveway, Y/N let out a small sigh of relief. The familiar sight of home brought a sense of calm, even if only for a moment.

“We’re home,” Billie said softly, nudging Y/N’s arm.

Y/N blinked, sitting up straighter. “Oh… right.” She rubbed her eyes, feeling the weight of the day pressing down on her. She felt exhausted, both mentally and physically.

As they stepped out of the car and headed inside, the house felt like a safe haven. Y/N immediately kicked off her shoes and made her way to the living room, collapsing onto the couch. She didn’t want to think about the interview, the paparazzi, or the panic attack. She just wanted to forget for a little while.

Finneas and Billie exchanged a glance. They both knew Y/N needed a break from everything—the pressure, the spotlight, the endless scrutiny. Finneas quietly moved to the kitchen, grabbing some snacks while Billie pulled up Netflix on the TV.

“How about a movie night?” Billie suggested, sitting beside Y/N on the couch.

Y/N looked up, a small, tired smile tugging at her lips. “Yeah, that sounds good.”

Finneas returned with a bowl of popcorn and a few drinks, setting them down on the coffee table. “I’ll pick the movie,” he said, scrolling through the options until he landed on a lighthearted comedy—something easy, something that wouldn’t add any more weight to the already heavy day.

They all settled in, with Y/N nestled between her older siblings. The movie started, but Y/N’s mind was still racing. She tried to focus on the screen, but her thoughts kept drifting back to the day—the interview, the fans, the flashes of the cameras. It was hard to shake the feeling that she was losing control of her life, piece by piece.

But as the movie went on, something shifted. The warmth of the couch, the sound of Finneas and Billie’s quiet laughter, and the comfort of being with them started to ease her anxiety. She snuggled closer to Finneas, feeling the steady rise and fall of his chest as he watched the movie. His presence was comforting, like a grounding force that kept her from spiraling too far into her own thoughts.

Without realizing it, Y/N’s eyelids grew heavy. The exhaustion from the day finally caught up with her, and she slowly drifted off, her head resting on Finneas’s shoulder.

Finneas looked down, noticing that Y/N had fallen asleep. He carefully wrapped an arm around her, pulling her closer without waking her. Billie noticed too, glancing over and smiling softly.

“Poor thing,” Billie whispered, her voice barely audible. “She’s been through so much.”

Finneas nodded, his expression somber. “I saw the posts… It’s bad. They caught everything.”

Billie sighed, her fingers idly picking at the edge of a blanket. “We’ll figure it out. She doesn’t need to see it. Not right now.”

They sat in silence for a few moments, the movie playing softly in the background. Finneas gently stroked Y/N’s hair, careful not to disturb her sleep. She looked so peaceful now, her face relaxed in a way it hadn’t been all day. It was a small relief, but they both knew it wouldn’t last forever. The world outside was still waiting, still watching, but for now, Y/N was safe with them.

“She’s strong,” Billie said quietly, her eyes fixed on the screen but her mind clearly elsewhere. “She’ll get through this. We just need to be here for her.”

Finneas nodded again, his arm still wrapped protectively around his little sister. “Always.”

And with that, they let the rest of the movie play out in comfortable silence, the weight of the day fading into the background as Y/N slept, nestled safely between the two people who loved her most in the world.