Just sisters

Chapter: Just Sisters

Billie sat quietly, her arms wrapped around Y/N as the weight of the night pressed on her. She could feel Y/N's soft breaths against her chest, her small body curled up tightly, seeking comfort. Maggie had finally drifted off in the chair, her head resting against the wall, while Finneas and their dad were still outside the room, talking in hushed voices.

It was just Billie and Y/N now, and that was all that mattered in this moment.

Y/N stirred slightly, nuzzling closer to Billie as if she was afraid of letting go, her hands clutching the fabric of Billie’s sweater. She wasn’t asleep, though she had her eyes closed, her breathing shaky, almost like she was trying to calm herself but couldn’t quite manage it.

“Hey,” Billie whispered softly, running her fingers through Y/N’s hair, her voice as gentle as she could make it. “It’s just us right now. You’re safe.”

Y/N didn’t say anything for a long time, but she tightened her grip on Billie, her small hands trembling slightly. Billie’s heart clenched as she held her closer, feeling just how fragile Y/N was in her arms. She wished she could take all of her pain away, protect her from the nightmares that haunted her, but all she could do was be there, hold her, and remind her that she wasn’t alone.

“Do you want to talk?” Billie asked quietly after a while, her voice barely above a whisper. She didn’t want to pressure her, but she didn’t want Y/N to feel like she had to hold everything inside either.

Y/N shook her head against Billie’s chest. “No,” she mumbled, her voice hoarse and small. “I just want to stay like this… with you.”

Billie nodded, her heart aching at the sound of Y/N’s voice. She could hear the exhaustion, the fear, and the overwhelming sadness all wrapped up in those few words. “That’s okay. We can just stay like this as long as you need.”

Y/N didn’t say anything more, but she seemed to relax just a little, her breathing evening out as she pressed herself closer to her sister. Billie could feel the weight of Y/N’s pain in every movement, every breath, and it crushed her. But she stayed strong for her, kept her arms wrapped tightly around her, as if her embrace alone could shield Y/N from everything that had happened.

Minutes passed in silence, the soft hum of the hospital’s machines the only sound in the room. Billie closed her eyes for a moment, focusing on the rhythm of Y/N’s breathing, matching her own to it in an effort to help keep her calm.

After a while, Y/N spoke again, her voice barely a whisper. “Billie…?”

“Yeah?” Billie responded softly, opening her eyes and looking down at her little sister.

“Do you think I’ll ever be… normal again?” Y/N’s voice cracked as she said the word “normal,” as if the very idea of it felt impossible.

Billie’s heart broke all over again. She didn’t have the right words, didn’t know how to answer a question like that, because she knew Y/N’s life had changed forever. But she also knew that Y/N was strong—stronger than she realized—and she would find her way through this, even if it took time.

“I don’t know what normal is,” Billie said gently, stroking Y/N’s hair. “But I know you’ll be okay. It’s going to take time, and it’s going to be hard… but you have us. We’re not going anywhere. You’re not alone in this.”

Y/N didn’t say anything, but Billie could feel her holding onto those words, clinging to them like a lifeline. She hoped it would be enough for now.

For a long time, they stayed like that, wrapped up in each other, the world outside forgotten. In that moment, it was just the two of them—sisters, bonded by love and pain, holding onto each other in the dark.

Billie hummed softly after a while, a melody she’d been working on in her head. She didn’t know if Y/N even noticed, but it soothed her too, gave her something to focus on, something other than the suffocating weight of the night. The soft notes filled the air, lulling them both into a quiet peace.

Y/N’s body relaxed a little more, and Billie kissed the top of her head, her heart swelling with love. “I’ve got you,” she whispered. “I’ll always have you.”

And in the quiet of the night, with her little sister tucked safely in her arms, Billie promised herself that she’d do whatever it took to help Y/N heal. Even if it took everything she had.

For now, though, it was enough just to hold her.