laughing again

Chapter 47: laughing again

As the movie played on, Y/N found herself getting lost in the colorful world unfolding on the screen. The whimsical antics of the animated characters pulled her in, and for the first time in what felt like forever, she felt a genuine smile creep onto her face.

Billie and Finneas exchanged glances, their hearts lifting at the sight. They settled deeper into the couch, making sure Y/N felt surrounded by warmth and comfort.

Halfway through, Y/N’s hand moved almost instinctively to Billie’s hair, gently tugging at the strands as she began to play with them. It was a gesture they both remembered from when they were younger—Y/N would always twist and braid Billie’s hair when they watched movies together, lost in a world of imagination.

“Hey, you’re bringing back the memories,” Billie said with a playful grin, glancing sideways at her sister.

Y/N glanced at her, a spark of mischief in her eyes. “I can still braid, you know.”

Finneas chuckled, leaning back with a relaxed smile. “Go for it! Just don’t pull too hard. We don’t want Billie’s hair to end up in a tornado.”

Billie laughed, swatting at him playfully. “Shush! I trust her.”

As Y/N twisted Billie’s hair between her fingers, she felt a sense of comfort wash over her. This was safe—this was happy. She began to braid Billie’s hair with a carefree spirit, each twist bringing her back to a time when life felt lighter.

“Look at you, getting back into your groove,” Finneas said softly, watching the scene unfold. He couldn’t help but feel hopeful seeing Y/N so engaged, her childish wonder momentarily breaking through the barriers she’d built around herself.

“Does it look good?” Y/N asked, biting her lip in concentration as she focused on the task.

“Absolutely,” Billie replied, her tone encouraging. “You’ve always been the best hair stylist in the family.”

Y/N beamed at the compliment, her fingers working deftly as she finished the braid. She pulled back to admire her handiwork, a sense of pride lighting up her features. “Ta-da!”

Finneas leaned closer, feigning a dramatic gasp. “It’s stunning! You should start a hair salon.”

Billie chuckled, giving Y/N a mock-serious look. “And you’d be my first customer every time, right?”

Y/N nodded, laughter bubbling up inside her as the lighthearted banter continued. She felt alive, the laughter spilling over like a gentle wave, and with it, the burdens of her recent struggles felt just a little lighter.

The movie continued to play, but it faded into the background as they created their own little world filled with laughter and joy. The atmosphere felt so familiar and warm, like a cherished memory that had finally resurfaced.

Finneas reached over to grab a handful of popcorn, offering some to Y/N. “Here, have some. It’s the best part of movie day!”

Y/N took a piece, the simple act reminding her of countless movie nights from her childhood. The combination of the film, the warmth of her siblings, and the familiar comfort of playing with Billie’s hair made her feel whole in a way she hadn’t felt in a long time.

As the film reached a particularly funny moment, Y/N burst into laughter, the sound echoing through the room like a breath of fresh air. It was genuine, bright, and full of life—the kind of laugh Billie and Finneas had missed so desperately.

“See?” Finneas said, a huge grin on his face. “That’s the laugh we’ve been waiting for!”

Y/N looked at them, her cheeks flushed with happiness. “I guess I just needed a little distraction.”

Billie reached over, squeezing Y/N’s hand. “And you deserve all the distractions in the world. Just be you, okay?”

With the warmth of her siblings surrounding her and the film playing on, Y/N felt the heaviness in her heart start to lift. Maybe, just maybe, she could find a way back to herself. Today was a reminder of the joy still hidden within her, waiting to be rediscovered.

And for that, she was grateful.