Chapter 28 >> Secrets

Saturday 21st March

Luke's POV

I look around the room after the second movie finishes and everyone is asleep. The clock on the wall says that it is almost midnight. Should we stay here or go home? I really don't like not sleeping in my own bed. I'll just ask Scarlett what she wants to do.

I look down at my chest and see her eyes peacefully closed. I lightly shake her shoulder, whispering her name at the same time. Her eyes begin to flutter open and she looks at me with her head tilted up.

"Yeah?" Scar asks getting a big yawn out as well.

"Do you want to stay here or go back to my house?" I ask and she moves her head back to where it was when she was sleeping. Scar shrugs at me, giving no help.

"I don't know, what do you want to do?" She mumbles to me and I roll my eyes.

"Thats why I'm asking you, because I don't know either. My own bed does sound pretty good though." I say and run my fingers through her hair.

"I agree, your bed is really comfy and a lot better that this couch." Scarlett nods and begins to sit up.

"Okay lets go then." We both get off the couch and make our way to the front door.

...

The next morning:

"Morning." I hear Scarlett's sweet voice whisper to me.

"Good morning beautiful." I say pecking her softly on the lips. "What time is it?"

"Its nearly ten o'clock." I yawn and stretch my arms out before putting them back around her waist.

"Okay we can go back to sleep then." I snuggle my head into the crook of her neck and close my eyes.

"No, we can't. I only have twenty eight days left with you and I am not going to waste those sleeping." Scar says and pushes at my chest lightly. Her words make me smile and she is right. I leave so soon and I don't want to waste the time that I have with her.

"Plus I'm hungry." I chuckle at her last comment and make my way out of the bed.

"Come down to the kitchen when you are dressed." I quickly chuck on some jeans, not worrying about a shirt and walk down stairs.

I hear my dad's voice coming from the kitchen and also a women's that's not my mums. I walk around the corner and I look up to the women and I mentally curse. Fuccckkkkkk. It's Scarlett's mum. What is she even doing in my house?

"Mrs. Jones, what a lovely surprise." I fake smile to her and walk over to the fridge.

"Luke, don't be rude." My dad warns me and I roll my eyes. I find the orange juice and walk over to the counter, taking out two glasses.

"I thought you were staying at Ashton's?" My dad asks and I shake my head.

"Nope, we were going to but came home instead." I say bluntly, still annoyed by Mrs. Jones' presence.

"We?" She pipes up from the other side of the counter. As if on cue, I see scarlett walk into the kitchen from the corner if my eye.

My whole head turns to her direction. When she realises her mum is in the room, her whole body stiffens. The tension between Scarlett and her mum is ridiculous. I watch her eyes and they start flickering back and forth between her mum and my, dad? Why dad?

"Mum, what are you doing here?" She asks and he voice is stern.

"What are you doing here Scarlett?" Her mum shoots back. Scar ignores the question and makes her way over to me.

"I thought you were staying at Sam's house?" Her mum asks. I push the glass over orange juice in front of her and she takes a sip.

"Change of plans." She says bluntly and bring the glass her lips again.

We all stay in an awkward silence and I look around at everyone. There is massive tension in the room and I feel like I am being left out and don't know whats going on. My dad finally breaks the silence and I let out a sigh.

"So, how was last night guys?"

"It was good." I say and wrap my around Scar, resting my hand on her hip.

"Scarlett?" My dad asks but she doesn't respond. I look down to her and she is staring intensely down a her glass. Maybe she didn't hear. I lightly nudge her with my arm.

"Fine." She responds blunt. Her voice sounds annoyed and angered. I understand why she might act like that her mum, but dad? What did he do? Nothing, right?

"Just fine?" Dad pushes.

"Yep." Wtf?

"Kids these days." Dad sighs still looking down at Scar.

"Whatever." Scar mumbles and my eyes widen.

"Scarlett?!" I question in disbelief and turn her body towards me.

"What Luke?!?" Scarlett almost yells to me and I don't know what to do. Why she acting like this? I furrow my eyebrows at her and she remains neutral.

"My room." I whisper in her ear and she walks out of the kitchen.

Scarlett turns and walks out the of the kitchen. I follow close behind as we walk up the stairs. When we reach my room I shut the door close and look over at Scar.

"Look Scar, I dont know whats wrong, or what the problem is with your mum, but you can't speak to my dad like that. I want my family to like you and thats not going to happen if you act like that towards them." I say to her sternly looking in her direction. Scarlett's arms fold across her chest and her eyes focus on the ground.

"Scar what's going on? You know you can tell me." My voice becomes quiet and I step closer to her. She stays quiet not giving me any response.

"Well." I push, and she looks up, finally meeting my eyes. She shakes her head at me and walks around the room.

"I'm sorry Luke, I'm just going to go home for a bit." Scarlett scurries around the room trying to find all of her stuff. "Tell your dad I'm sorry for what happened. I'll talk to you later."

She sends me a weak smile before walking past me and slipping out of my room. I'm still really confused of everything that just happened.

What was with Scarlett's attitude?

Why did she avoid the question?

Is she keeping something from me?