Chapter 34 >> Broken Homes

Sunday 23rd August

Scarlett's POV

It's been over four months now since I finally told the secret to my dad. It wasn't pretty at all. Evertything went down hill from there.

My mum didn't come home for days after she hit me and left me lying on the cold, hard floorboards. She was too afraid to face the truth of what was to come. She only made it worse for herself postponing the ever longing argument that was to come with my dad.

When she finally had the guts to come home it was uglier than what I predicted. I stayed up in my room the whole night, listening to their screams echo through the room and glass shattering against the walls.

Most of the night I had Eli clinging onto my side looking for comfort while he had to listening to his parents argue out their problems. It was heartbreaking that he had no idea where any of this was coming from.

We are currently on our way home from the courthouse and by we I mean Dad, Eli and myself. Mum and Dad's divorce had just been finalised after four long months of endless paperwork and trips to the court. Fortunately in this whole process, Dad has been granted full custody of me and Eli.

After he found out that mum was the one that hit me, he reported it to the police. With that her parental rights were taking away from her with the divorce.

I can tell that my dad struggles from time to time. Adjusting to being a single parent with two children must be hard. Money isn't a problem. His job pays well and we have savings. It's the little things like getting home in time to cook dinner or making sure the Eli has a ride to practice that make it hard. But he tries his best.

And for me?

I'm okay.

I mean not having mum and the secret in my life anymore is definitely a stress relief. But the bigger picture is, it made me lose someone I love.

I didn't try contact Luke after that day. As much as every fibre in my body wanted to, I didn't. There is no way in hell that he would want to talk to me.

I miss him more than I would if we were still together. Its hard to think of anything else most of the time other than him. He's intoxicating, even from ten thousand miles away.

Every minute of everyday, I sit and think of all the things I would of done different. Everyday during class and on the long walks home alone, is spent with him on my mind. But it's no use, it only makes me realise what I lost.

No secret is worth loosing the guy I love.

This secret, this affair destroyed everything. It destroyed the person my mother was, or I who thought she was.

It tore my relationship apart and it split two families up. Two families that one shared warm happy memories are gone.

We do with what we have, but its hard to call this place a home anymore. Its too broken.

...

A/N: I KNOW THIS IS A REALLY SHORT CHAPTER AND I'M SORRY. THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS MIGHT BE A LITTLE SHORTER THAN USUAL BUT PROBABLY NOT FOR TOO LONG. XX