Chapter 33 >> Broken Vows

Sunday 19th April

Scarletts POV

If you asked me how I am feeling right now, I wouldn't be able to explain it to you. Every emotion I felt and every once of pain that ran through my body was new to me. Something I hadn't experienced like any other. And it was all my fault.

It's currently just past six o'clock in the morning and the sun was still on its way up. It's only been twenty-two hours since I last saw Luke. I didn't sleep last night. I tried but it never came.

I left my house in the early hours of this morning and walked to the park. Somehow I ended up here, and sat on the swings like he and I did that night. Although it reminded me of him, it seemed like the right place to be.

The park was quiet at a time like this. No one to try and talk to me. Just me and my thoughts to be left alone.

I couldn't help but feel guilty every time a tear fell out of my eye. He was right I fucked everything up, I brought it upon myself. But I just couldn't stop.

It wasn't the type of cry you would expect, if you and the person you love just broke up. At first it was sobbing, tears and heaving breathing, but it was just tears stained cheeks while my eyes were set on the sunrise.

My mum didn't come home either last night. Well, at least not while I was there. I don't know where she was but I had a strong feeling.

There's not a doubt in my mind that thinks Luke wouldn't have told his mum about the affair. It must have broke his heart telling her, and her heart hearing it. I've broken too many with this secret.

On that last thought I stop my steady rocking, and stand up from the swing. It was time to leave before children start to arrive and push me off. I start my slow journey home. My hands stuffed deep into the pocket of my oversized jumper and the hood pulled over my head.

I focus on the pavement as my feet step one in front of the other. I tilt my head up slightly, seeing the the sign of my street name come into view. As I round the corner into the street, I remember the time Luke sent me flying onto my butt when I ran into him one day, right at this very spot.

While pushing the painful thought to the back of my mind, my eyes lay upon a car in the driveway. Great, my mother is finally home. I wonder if she knows yet? I wonder who else even knows.

The front door clicks open and squeaks as I push against it. The house is at a complete silence. I turn around and close the door slowly and slip my shoes off.

I hear a creek in the floorboard from behind me and then a heavy hand on my shoulder. The force pulls me around and pushes me hard against the wall. A forearm comes in contact with my neck and pushes my chin up to look them in the eyes.

"What the hell have you done Scarlett?!" My mum screams in my face. She is furious. Her face as red as a tomato and and chest heaving up and down.

"You know exactly what I did. I told Luke the truth. Him and liz both have a right to know the type of scums you and Andrew really are. And now there's nothing you can do about it." I say looking into her dull eyes.

"You have ruined everything." She tells me while I watch her eyes well up.

"So I've been told."

"I told you to stay out of it, mind your own business and not tell a soul. Now look what have done, ruined someone else's marriage." This time the tears start in my eyes, feeling a pang of guilt and not knowing what Liz is going through.

"That marriage was ruined the moment you two couldn't keep your hands to yourself. How can walk around holding your head up high knowing you have defied the unconditionally love that my father always gave you. You vowed to always be faithful to him. Instead you fucked someone else's husband like the filthy tramp you are." I felt something hard hit the left side of my face and then nothing.

Nothing but darkness took over.

...

"Scarlet? Scarlet?! WAKE UP!" I can hear someone calling my name and shaking my shoulders. I try to pry my eyes open before feeling a pain from the left side of my face. I focus on whats in front of me and see my dad with a worried look on his face. My eyes search around the area for my mum but don't find her.

"Scarlett! Look at me." I rest my eyes back on dad. "What the hell happened? You've got a black eye and most of your cheek is bruised."

"Where is she?" I ask starting rise to my feet, only to be gently pushed back down.

"Who? Your mum?" He asks and I nod back. "I don't know, her car isn't in the driveway. Did she do this to you?"

A lump forms in the back of my throat and the words aren't coming out of my mouth. I know he doesn't want to hear it. I can't bare to tell him.

"Yes." A whisper escapes my mouth and a tear down my black and blue cheek.

"Why?" He cries out softly and I shake my head. I don't want to do it but it has to be done. I take his hand in mine and squeeze it tight.

"Dad, she's been cheating on you."