Chapter 38 >> Cloud Nine

Saturday 19th December

Scarlett's POV

"I need to go outside for a couple of minutes, join me?" I ask, placing my now empty cups onto the bar. He nods and places his hand out for me to take. I reach out and stand from the chair, following Cliff as he pulls me through the crowd.

Bodies on bodies pushing against me until I feel cool breeze against my skin and a woof of smoke. It's less cramped out here and definitely less claustrophobic. We stop walking and Cliff turns back around to face me. 

I dig into my bag and pull out my pack of cigarettes. The start of the year, I despised people that smoked and now look at me. I motion Them in Cliff's direction and he takes one, putting it between his lips. I do the same and cup the end of the smoke and lighting it up. As I go to hand the lighter over, he leans in close to and joins the end of both cigarettes. 

We stay there for a moment and look into his pale eyes. I look away and pull back, seeing the neon orange pair at the end of his stick. I take mine between my fingers and blow out a cloud of smoke. 

"My mate quite smoking about six months ago." He break's the silence between us.

"How come?" I ask and the side of my arm, getting slightly cold.

"Don't know really. I offered him one, one day and he rejected it. Just like that, quit cold turkey." He tells me and I nod along. "He strong though, been through a lot this year."

"That sounds slightly depressing." I chuckle and he cracks a smile in my direction. "I would love to finish that story, but Ive had a pretty shit day. So maybe you could tell me about your friend another time, maybe when I'm not drinking either."

"Yeah sure, it's a long story anyway." Cliff says and takes a puff from his cigarette. I take one last breath from my smoke and drop it to the ground. My foot stamps on the small bud and Cliff does the same. 

"So are you here alone?" I ask and lean my shoulder against the wall.

"No not really." I send him a questioning look, not really knowing what he meant. "Well a couple of my friends are here, but I'm sick of them, so I wondered off by myself."

"Wow, you sound like a great friend." I laugh at him and he shrugs it off.

"You would think the same thing if you knew them as well." He says scratching the back of his neck.

"I bet they're not as cool as you then?" I ask trying to sound flirtatious, but probably sound like an absolute moron. 

I always sucked at flirting. Even when I was with Luke I sucked, but it somehow managed to win him over. Dammit! Why am I thinking about Luke when I have this attractive guy standing right in front of me?

"Oh definitely not! They're all a bunch of idiots who would scare you off!" He laughs and I giggle back.

"You know you kind of remind me of someone I used to know. I can't seem to figure it out." I squint my eyes in his direction and he smiles back at me.

"Liam Hemsworth?" He asks jokingly and causes another laugh from my mouth.

"No, unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Liam Hemsworth at any point of my life." I sigh in pity for myself.

"Poor you." Cliff pouts and I playfully roll my eyes. Maybe I wasn't so bad at the whole flirting thing. I mean he hasn't run away screaming yet, so I must be doing something right.

"Shall we go and get another dink then?" He asks.

"Oh yes please!" 

.....

After all that has happened today I was finally in a state where I was enjoying myself. Every little thing that I have been worrying about seems oblivious in this moment. I'm not scared to leave my house and I'm not anxious to see my ex-boyfriend. 

It was all thanks to this random guy I met at the club, and my good friend alcohol. It was fair to say that I was intoxicated a bit too much at this point, but I really didn't care. For the first time in eight months I was learning to let go and live like a normal eighteen year old should.

I am feeling on top of the world, higher than cloud nine and nothing and no one can bring me down.

The visions around me start to get dizzy after several hours of dancing and drinking. Cliff was still by my side and has been the whole night. His hands are on my hips and back against his front. Although I probably didn't look it any more, I felt sexy and I tried to make Cliff think I was as well.

"Last round of drinks everyone! LET'S GO OUT WITH A BANG!" The DJ screams over the mic and most of the crowd cheers.

"I know this is soon, but I have a hotel room close by." He says into my ear and I instinctively smile. "We can go back there if thats okay with you."

Probably not the best time to be making these kinds of decisions while I'm drunk but whatever. The only thought that comes to my head when he asks is 'Yes dammit, you haven't had sex in eight months girl! You need this'. 

"Absolutely." I say turning around and sending a smirk.