chapter 45: cupcakes

Third person pov:

Siobhan and Vivian had built a beautiful life together, filled with laughter, love, and the joyful chaos of raising three young children. Their eldest, Jamie, was five, full of energy and curiosity, while the twins, Harper and Hailey, were about to celebrate their first birthdays. The family was still buzzing with excitement over the twins’ first words, "mama" and "hay hay."

One chilly morning, however, Jamie woke up with a cough and a fever. Vivian rushed to his side, gently brushing his hair back. "It’s okay, sweetie. We’ll get you all better," she said, her heart aching as she felt his forehead. After a few hours of snuggles and warm soup, it became clear that Jamie needed some rest while Vivian managed the household.

Realizing that the twins had become particularly attached to Marjorie during their recent stay with her and Reece, Vivian decided to take them over for a visit. "You girls are going to see Mar Mar!" she announced with a bright smile, hoping to lift their spirits.

As they arrived at Marjorie and Reece’s house, the familiar sights and smells enveloped them. Marjorie had always been a second mother to the twins, and as soon as they stepped inside, the twins perked up. Vivian placed Hailey in her playpen, while Harper, holding tightly to her mom's hand, peeked around, searching for her beloved Marjorie.

When Marjorie walked into the room, Harper’s face lit up like the sun. “Mar Mar!” she shouted, her little voice ringing through the air. She tore away from Vivian, rushing toward Marjorie with her arms outstretched. Marjorie knelt down, enveloping Harper in a warm hug, her laughter filling the room. "There’s my sweet girl!" she exclaimed, showering Harper with kisses.

Hailey, not wanting to be left out, crawled over to Marjorie, squealing in delight. "Mar Mar!" she echoed, and the room was filled with giggles as Marjorie scooped her up, holding both twins close. Vivian felt her heart swell as she watched the joyful reunion.

In the meantime, back at home, Siobhan was doing her best to take care of Jamie. She made a cozy nest on the couch with blankets and pillows, settling down beside him. "We can watch your favorite movie, okay?" she suggested, picking up the remote. Jamie nodded, looking grateful for the comfort.

As the movie played, Siobhan kept a close eye on Jamie, checking his temperature and ensuring he had enough fluids. She told him stories of the adventures he would have once he felt better. “You’ll be back to playing with your sisters in no time,” she promised, brushing a hand through his hair.

Meanwhile, at Marjorie’s, the twins were in full play mode. Marjorie had set up a mini birthday celebration for them, complete with balloons and streamers. As they played, Reece joined in, expertly navigating the chaos of three energetic little ones.

After a while, Vivian took a moment to step outside. She felt grateful for the time she had with the twins but couldn’t shake the worry for Jamie. She pulled out her phone to check in with Siobhan, sending a quick message.

Vivian: How's Jamie?

Siobhan: Still feverish but managing. Watching a movie together. He misses you guys!

Vivian: The twins are having a blast with Marjorie. They love her so much!

Siobhan: Glad to hear! Keep having fun!

With that, Vivian went back inside, her heart lightened by Siobhan's message. The afternoon was filled with laughter and the clatter of toys, and before they knew it, the twins were happily exhausted, snuggled up on Marjorie's lap.

As the sun began to set, Vivian decided it was time to head back home. "Alright, my little munchkins, it’s time to see your brother," she announced, gathering the twins and giving Marjorie a warm hug of gratitude.