Chapter 44

Chapter 44

"Gee! Wake up! Wake up!"

I opened my eyes to see Frank standing over me. The lights were off in the dormitories, and everyone else was still sleeping. The only light was coming from Frank's wand. "What time is it?" I asked as I rolled out of bed.

"Nine in the afternoon," Frank replied.

"Seriously, what time is it?" I asked.

"12:07 AM, but that doesn't matter," Frank said. "I need to show you something."

Frank opened the door to the common room, and I followed him. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"Shh," Frank whispered. "Filch might still be wandering the corridors."

I followed Frank downstairs and out of the castle. It was nice to get some fresh air, but I still had no idea where Frank was going. We walked around the perimeter of the Black Lake before reaching the Forbidden Forest. "What are you doing?" I shouted. "We almost got killed last time we went into the Forbidden Forest."

"Chill out," Frank replied. "I know where I'm going this time."

"I'm sorry Frank, but I really don't trust your inner compass," I said. Nevertheless, we both entered the forest, and I followed Frank to a clearing. There was a very old, turquoise car parked there.

"Get in the car," Frank said.

I got into the passenger seat as Frank got into the driver's seat. "Do you know how to drive it?" I asked Frank as I investigated the dashboard. As far as I could tell, it looked like a standard Muggle vehicle.

"Kind of," Frank replied. "My dad made me get my driver's permit during the summer before fifth year, but I crashed into a tree and wrecked the car during my first drive. I know the basics though!"

"Where did you get this?" I asked.

"Tyler and Josh found it in the forest last year. Where do think I keep stealing their car radios from? They fixed it up a bit, and they let me use it since I gave them the answer key for the exams next week. Don't worry about it. Let's take this baby for a spin!" Frank put the key into the ignition and slammed on the gas, and the car lurched forward. As the car gained momentum, it began to rise into the air. I held on to Frank's arm as the car took off, and before we knew it, we were far above the tallest trees in the forest. Frank pressed a button labeled "Invisibility Booster" and pushed on the brake. The car paused for a moment, and Frank pressed on the gas again, causing the car to glide forward.

"This thing is really neat," I said.

"I know, right?" Frank said. I reached for the radio and turned it on. I flipped through a few stations before finding a song that I liked. Frank and I both sang along. "You have such a wonderful singing voice," Frank told me after the song finished.

"Thanks, but I don't think that it's that great," I said.

"You must be joking," Frank said. "You're a fantastic singer."

"Whatever you say, Frankie."

"You just don't want to admit that I'm right, do you?"

I shrugged and changed the station again. I looked out the window and saw the sky, which was illuminated by the full moon and the bright stars. Below us were the castle, the forest, the village, and the Quidditch field. They all looked so tiny from up there. It was truly a magnificent view.

Frank and I continued to chat for a while, and then he landed the flying car in the Forbidden Forest. We both got out of the car, and then we started walking along the shores of the lake. The Black Lake was so beautiful at night, and I wished that I had some paper and a pencil so I could draw it.

As we approached the other side of lake, Frank kissed me. I pulled him closer and deepened the kiss. Frank's lips parted slightly and I could taste his sweet tongue as he ran it across mine. He stopped for a second and kissed my neck before he reached for my shirt and took it off.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but you're both supposed to be in the common room right now."

"Professor Lester?" I said as I pulled my shirt back over my head. "What are you doing out here?"

"I saw a flying car outside of my window, so I decided to go check it out," Professor Lester said.

"Tyler said that he fixed the Invisibility Booster!" Frank exclaimed.

"You're seventh years," Professor Lester said. "You should know that you're not supposed to be outside of the common room after bedtime."

"We're very sorry, Professor," Frank said.

"I'll have to consult with Professor Howell, since he's your head of house, but there will be punishment for this," Professor Lester said. "Now go back to bed! You have class tomorrow!"

Frank and I returned to the common room, and we both went back to bed. My last thought before I drifted off to sleep was the simple fact that even though I was in huge trouble, I didn't regret a second of my night with Frank.