My Little Broken Mechanic

"AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!"

You sat bolt upright as a ear splitting scream came from below the deck of the Argo II. It was the engine room and you knew who was down there. Jumping up you ran into the hall in your pajamas and sped down the stairs into the engine room to find Leo thrashing in his makeshift bed, tears falling down his cheeks.

"No. . .No it wasn't my fault. . .It wasn't I swear! . . .Please forgive me! MOOOOOOOOM!" He screamed and you rushed over shaking him to wake up.

"Leo! Leo it's okay it's just a nightmare!"

His eyes flew open and he sat up trembling violently, heart braking sobs escaping his lips. You pulled him to your chest and he cried harder than you've ever seen him cry before, which was never. Leo held onto you, shaking and sobbing and hiccuping. You hugged him close, whispering sweet nothings into his ear and singing to him softly.

"(Y-Y/n)?" Leo hiccuped and you held up his face to look into his broken brown eyes.

"Yes?"

Leo sniffled and wiped his eyes, bottom lip trembling. "I-I'm sorry."

You crawled into bed with him and he curled up into your lap as you pulled the covers over the both of you.

"Why are you sorry?"

Leo laid his head on your shoulder and wrapped his arms around your torso. "I woke you up."

You snorted and ran your fingers through his messy soft curls. "Don't be sorry about that. It's not a problem."

"You sure?"

"I promise,"

He nodded and you both stayed silent for a long while, listening to the waves crash against the ships hull and the soft rock of the Argo II on the ocean. Leo would sometimes start crying again and you would hold him close and sing to him to calm the hiccups, he would gradually stop then hold you tighter.

"(Y/n)?" He whispered after a while of silence.

"Yeah?"

"I need to tell you something,"

You played with his curls and interlaced your fingers with his. "Okay."

And Leo poured out the secret he had been hiding for seven years. He told you about his mom, about the fire, about him and Gaea. But not once did you blame Leo for what happened. You had known him since you arrived at camp, he was the sweetest person you knew. He could never hurt someone like that.

"I-I killed her. . .I killed my own mother." Tears fell down his face in waterfalls and you wiped them away.

"No no no Leo, you did everything to protect her. You were scared and just a little kid, you didn't understand what was going on and didn't have full control over your powers. Don't ever blame yourself for what happened, it was never your fault. It's Gaea's. She's the one to pin this on. She's a selfish earthen bitch who loves to see the suffering of others. Gaea is being fueled by this. Don't let her win Leo."

He stared up at you, fresh tears rolling down his cheeks and you wiped them away again. Leo sniffled then played with your fingers, staring at your soft skin.

"Thank you (y/n),"

"You're strong Leo, you don't need to thank me for anything."

You stayed in the engine room with him that night, your limbs tangled with his and his head laying on your chest. Sleep never came to you, you made sure that Leo was safe and didn't have anymore nightmares, your fingers carded through his silky curls and your voice lulled him into a deep, dreamless sleep. One that could only come when you were with him.