The Fire Dies

Pain. A sharp, stinging pain that was cold and harsh jolted through your body as knife like nails penetrated your back. Leo watched with horror as the snake woman's claws dug deeper and deeper into you, your eyes wide and mouth open in shock, a single trail of blood dripping out.

He wanted to scream, he wanted to run to you, but he was frozen. Frozen with fear. Leo's mind couldn't comprehend what was happening, the love of his life was dying right in front of his very eyes. As the monster sneered behind your ear a single word escaped your lips that made Leo's very soul shatter into shards of glass.

"Leo," your voice breathed, then you dropped.

"(Y/N)!" He screamed, finally finding his voice and the feeling in his legs. Leo sprinted towards your blood covered body and scooped you up into his arms.

"No no no no no," he sobbed into your matted hair.

You never even stirred. Leo choked on his sobs and dropped to his knees holding you close, his forehead pressed to yours. His arms encircled your torso as your head was tilted skyward, eyes closed as if praying to the heavens for a second chance. Leo buried his face into your neck just as the snake woman chuckled, loving the way Leo was suffering.

He slowly raised his head, eyes as cold as ice. Leo said nothing, he merely ignited a spark. A circle of fire exploded in a burst of red burning the hellish woman away, her screams only fueling Leo's anger. The fire spread rapidly all around you and him, destroying everything in its path. He did nothing to stop it, he wanted it to keep going and going.

Finally it was too much, he collapsed next to your still body crying to himself. The fire had died, the fire had died inside of him. Leo never felt so alone. His love was gone forever, along with so many others. He stared up at the sky, wondering why in the hell the gods had to take you. He just could never catch a brake. He could never dodge the pain, the suffering, the losses.

Leo curled up into a ball shaking and sobbing, overwhelming pain enveloping him so tight he was choking. The sorrow was suffocating, he could barely breathe. Leo felt the air being sucked from his lungs, he clawed at his throat trying desperately to get oxygen, but then he thought. 'Why do I need to live if she's gone?'

Leo went still, trying to ignore the burning in his lungs and closed his eyes. Awaiting death like an old friend.

Then, he woke up.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

He sat up gasping, sweat soaked the sheets and his skin, frantically looked around the room. His heart calmed to a slow beating as he turned his head and you were laying next to him, your hair covering one eye. Leo sighed with relief and tucked the hair back, staring at your beautiful face. His eyes trailed over every perfect detail.

Leo ran a hand through his hair, sighing heavily. That had to be the worst dream he had ever had. He looked around for a moment, the clock in the corner tick tick ticking, filling the silent room. Leo breathed out through his nose then laid back down, facing you. He put an arm around your waist, pulling you close to his body and you stirred yawning.

"You okay?" You asked sleepily and Leo smiled at your cuteness, kissing your lips softly but firmly.

"I'm fine, go back to sleep."

"Mhm," your eyes were already closing, your face nuzzled in Leo's neck and he held onto you for dear life.

Without you, living meant nothing. Without you, the fire inside of him would die, and never be lit again.