Smaller

Morgan

-two days later-

The room was quiet except for the constant beep of all the monitors. So many parents in the same position as them, all the babies in incubators...it was heartbreaking.

Then they saw her. She was right in the center of all of it.

She was so small, so incredibly small in her incubator. The machines, the tubes, the different little patches stuck to her...it was like her heart twisted in her chest.

They couldn't hold her, could only touch her through the small arm holes. Her hand went up to the clear glass; spreading her fingers out as she stared at her baby.

"She's so small...she looks so fragile." She put her hand through one of the little holes and touched the baby's hand, feeling her soft skin.

What had she done? Why was her baby like this? Why wasn't everything okay?

You did this Morgan, this is your fault.

Tears came to her eyes as something fell over her body; a feeling she hadn't felt in a long time. Something that made her chest hurt as her eyes stayed locked on the little one in front of her.

"Hey honey, we're glad you're finally here. You gotta get better though so we can take you home and you can meet everyone." Colin's hand reached through the other opening so he could touch her small foot.

"We haven't taken all the steps to show she's here..." a nurse spoke up, holding a blank birth certificate and a pen. She handed them to Colin and they started to fill it out.

"We could name her after your grandmother...your favorite." He smirked softly.

"You wouldn't mind the name Darlene?"

"No. I think it's beautiful. It fits her."

"Darlene Hanley Kaepernick. Born February 20th, three pounds...fifteen ounces. Ten inches long..." his voice got shaky and he turned his head to hide himself.

But that's the last thing she wanted.

"Baby..." she intertwined their fingers, holding them in her lap.

"She's so small..why does she have to go through this? She should be home, not here..." He leaned forward and ran a hand over his face, but kept it there.

"Colin..." she rubbed his back, her lips pressed to his shoulder. She had already been crying but seeing him just as upset as she was just made it even worse. They couldn't control what was happening, and in turn that made them feel hopeless and helpless all at the same time.

"We're gonna bring her home soon okay? She's gonna be fine...she's a fighter. We know she is..." Maybe it was better to fake hope than to admit how scared they were.

*******

-5 days after birth-

The days went by slowly. Like time wasn't enough and the fact that they couldn't do anything made it all the more worse. Minutes went by like hours and though they received congratulations on their new addition; it felt like anything but a celebration.

Neither her, nor Darlene's immune system were strong enough for them to leave. Darlene's health had stayed stable for the past few days, neither getting better or worse. Colin went home that morning to spend time with Knox, so she was alone for the moment.

She was continuously rubbing the baby's fingers; staring at her.

"Good morning Morgan, how are tonight?" She looked up to smile at Nurse Kelly.

"I'm fine. How is she?"

"Her vitals are looking good. She's gained a few ounces since we last weighed her. In fact, the doctor gave me the okay for you to hold her for a few minutes."

"Really?" The nurse nodded, smiling as she opened the case and fixed a few things before picking her up. She laid the baby in her arms; adjusting the monitor before letting go.

This was the first time she held her daughter: and it was nothing short of emotional and magical all in one.

She was so small. Before it looked to be so because of how big the incubator was. But boy was she small. Her body spanned from her own elbow to her wrist: and she held her close to her chest, both arms practically wrapped around her entire body.

"Hi sweetheart..." she smiled down at her. And for the first time in days, she opened her eyes to them.

"She's out today..." a voice spoke up and she looked up to smile at her husband.

"Yeah. The doctor gave the okay for a few minutes." He sat in the chair next to hers and smiled softly.

"She's so beautiful. I told you she would be beautiful." She kissed her head before handing her over to Colin. She looked like a baby doll in his arms.

"What did the doctor say?"

"She gained a little weight and her vitals are stable."

"And you?"

"Still the same." She smiled softly.

"Baby steps..."

"Sorry Colin and Morgan but Darlene has to go back into the incubator. That and Morgan has to go back and rest." Nurse Kelly spoke up and they said their goodbyes before she was placed back in.

"I'm tired of being in this wheel chair." She commented as Colin wheeled her back to her room.

"You should learn to do wheelies in it."

"I might have to test that theory. We are already in a hospital anyway..." she smiled to herself thinking about the idea.

"I'm going to laugh if you end up falling...I'm telling you right now." She giggled as he wheeled her into her room. They were met by a new and bright flower arrangement by her bed.

"Aww baby you bought me flowers?" He frowned.

"Sorry...I didn't. They have a card though so maybe we can figure it out." He put the stand down before moving over to grab the white card sticking out. He handed to her and she opened it, thinking nothing about it till she saw the writing.

Congratulations on the new edition. I hope to meet her...soon.
With love,
Heidi

"Whose it from?"

"It's...it's from Heidi."

"Heidi? As in..."

"Yeah." He grabbed it, reading before a frown graced his face.

"How...does she know we had a baby?"

"Sammie and I...we saw her."

"What? When?"

"Your game. We were walking around the stadium and she stopped us. That's how she found out about the pregnancy."

"My game? Why didn't you tell me?"

"It's was too preoccupied with the baby. She was so sure she knew me...said that Darlene was her grandchild and you...were her son."

"I'm not her son." He spoke automatically. "Knox and Darlene aren't her grandkids. She should have never talked to you."

"I hurried away from her. I told her the same thing. It's not important, we can get rid of the flowers."

"It is important Morgan, she should have boundaries. Next time...not that there will be but if you see her again call the police."