Chapter 34: History Repetition

[Author's Note: Mentions real life events from Ferguson, Missouri. Viewer discretion advised.]

"Joseph," Fawn said. "I'm surprised you haven't open the chest yet. What, are you too much of a pussy to do it?"

Joseph scowled. "Of course not, girl."

"Woman," Fawn corrected with a smile.

"Whatever!" Joseph took a deep breath, composing himself. "Have you ever heard of Ferguson?"

"Ferguson?"

"Yes. It's a town in Missouri."

"I can't say that I have."

Joseph tilted his head. "Oh? You haven't?"

Fawn shook her head.

"Not even in the case of Michael Brown?"

"I...don't know who that is."

"I'm not terribly surprised. A lot of children don't tend to learn the whole histories of their people nowadays. Probably because of the laws I put in place."

"Well, of course."

"You see... It was way back in 2014. In August. Michael was a suspect of a robbery at a convenience store. Oh, did I mention he was black?"

"Not directly..."

"Well, he was. And there was a white police officer. Named Darren Wilson. He got a radio alert to check out the robbery."

"Of course. It's his job."

"Right. Anyway, I'm not real big on the details, but he ended up pursuing Michael. Michael supposedly attacked the officer in his vehicle. To get a hold of the officer's gun. The gun went off. At least twice, I believe. The unarmed Michael and one of his friends that he was with then ran away. The officer then went after Michael. It is said that Wilson stated that Michael stopped...and charged him. It is also said that twelve bullets were shot from the man's gun. Six of them went into Michael Brown. He was then left on the street for...oh...I believe it was...four hours? Give or take?"

Fawn put her hand over her mouth slowly. She never knew this story. Never knew this man's name. Never would have been able to meet him...but she suddenly felt like she had just lost a friend. She began to cry, silently.

"Yes, yes. Sad, sad. It is said that the officer was found not guilty of any crimes and was seen to be acting in self defense."

"IT WASN'T SELF DEFENSE!" Fawn screamed. "IT WAS MURDER! HE WAS RUNNING AWAY! HE WAS UNARMED!"

Joseph put his hands up in surrender. "That doesn't mean that anybody else saw it that way."

Fawn balled her hands into fists, her muscles so tight that she was visibly shaking. "Is that all you have to say about this incident?"

"Uh...no, no. No... His age. I believe he was...oh...18?"

Fawn relaxed. She was no longer angry. Now she was just numb. "He was...he was eighteen... He was just a boy..." A single tear ran down her face. "How could anyone...?"

"That's the real question, isn't it?"

"Why have you brought this up?"

"Later, after he died, there began to be multiple riots. Some peaceful. Some...not so much... Though the officer did not say this was the case, many witnesses claim that Michael had his hands up in surrender and or said 'don't shoot'. So many protestors used the phrase, 'Hands up, don't shoot'."

"Why...?" Fawn swallowed. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Well...right before you woke up this...entity of sorts spoke to me. The entity of this planet. If you can call it a planet... Anyway, it told me of a prophecy. Of history repeating."

"History repeating?"

"Yes."

"You mean..." She hesitated. "Michael Brown's history repeating?"

"Yes, exactly. It will happen in Ferguson. Right in the spot where Michael Brown died. A young black person will stand there. And across from them will be a white man. In a position of power. With a gun. And fire it at the black person."

Fawn hesitated yet again. "Why're you telling me this?"

"Because right after it told me that you appeared. Look at your surroundings. Does the story sound familiar to you?"

Fawn's eyes widened. She was a black person. He was a white man in a position of power...

"No. You don't mean...?"

Joseph smiled. "Yes. I believe I do. I believe that I am one day rather soon...going to be killing you."