Chapter 49: "Don't Worry. I'm Ready..."

Fawn stopped.

Marissa did, too. She frowned as she looked at Fawn. "Sweetie? What's wrong?"

Fawn looked up at her mom and showed her the phone. "It says it's right here..."

Marissa put the flashlight on the ground and moved it around to try to find the spot they were looking for. It was behind Fawn. They both went to look at it.

On the ground was a black plaque. It had golden letters with a picture of Mike Brown in the top left corner. It read:

IN MEMORY OF
MICHAEL O.D. BROWN
MAY 20, 1996 – AUGUST 9, 2014

I WOULD LIKE THE MEMORY OF
MICHAEL BROWN TO BE A HAPPY ONE. HE LEFT AN
AFTERGLOW OF SMILES WHEN LIFE WAS DONE.
HE LEAVES AN ECHO WHISPERING SOFTLY DOWN THE WAYS,
OF HAPPY AND LOVING TIMES AND BRIGHT AND SUNNY DAYS.
HE'D LIKE THE TEARS OF THOSE WHO GRIEVE, TO DRY BEFORE
THE SUN OF HAPPY MEMORIES THAT HE LEFT
BEHIND WHEN LIFE WAS DONE.

Fawn took a deep breath as she finished reading it. She nodded. "So this is it..."

Marissa put her hand on Fawn's back. "This is it... Where should he be?"

Fawn shrugged. "I dunno. I don't know where the cop was standing..."

Marissa looked up and then looked around. She froze when she looked directly behind Fawn. "I think I found it."

Fawn looked at her mom with a frown. Then she turned to see where she was looking. Behind her was Joseph. He was in front of a spaceship that lit up the street and he was holding a gun in his hand.

"Well well," Joseph said. "You're here."

"I am," Fawn said as she stood up straighter. Marissa looked between them, unsure what to do.

Joseph held up his gun and aimed it at Fawn. "And at first I thought that God was a bit out of it... But you're here... So?"

Marissa held onto Fawn's hand and squeezed it.

Fawn swallowed as she held back her tears. "Don't worry. I'm ready..."

Joseph smirked as he cocked his gun. "Good."

BANG!