Hope- Luffy #2

Shinko "Scarlet Fox" Ai. A valued member of the straw hat pirates, but she never smiled. She never laughed. While others joined in festivities, Ai would hide in the girl's quarters or the crow's nest.

Needless to say, this bothered her captain quite a bit. But why he was getting so worked up over Ai more than anyone else, he couldn't really tell you. He would probably give the normal "she's my nakama" but he just had this feeling that it was more than that.

Robin quickly deducted that Luffy had fallen in love with Ai.

Ai was currently standing on deck, leaning over the railing, staring out over the sea as the sunset on the horizon, her golden eyes holding a cold, menacing look. Luffy walked up to her and stood by her side. He took a deep breath.

"Remember what Robin told you. Talk calmly and seriously." Luffy thought.

"Hi, Ai-chan." He said. Ai's eyes shifted towards him, then back to sea.

"Captain." She said, her soft voice making his heart jump in his chest.

"Ai-chan, is everything okay?" Luffy asked.

"Perfectly fine, Captain." Ai replied.

"Call me Luffy." Luffy said. Ai sighed.

"Everything is fine, Luffy." She reassured him.

"Okay." Luffy said. The two stood there in silence. Luffy stared at Ai as she stared over the ocean. A small breeze came up and blew her short, red hair in to her face. She reached up and tucked it behind her ear.

"Um, Ai-chan." Luffy started.

"Yes, Luffy?" Ai asked.

"You know, everyone here has a dream. Sanji to find the All Blue, Zoro to be the best swordsman, Me to be King of the Pirates... But you never told us what your dream is. Why did you decide to join when I asked you?" Luffy asked. Ai sighed.

"I don't have a dream, Luffy." She said. Luffy stared at her for a long time.

"Why?" He asked. Ai slouched a bit.

"Only a select few people in the world are allowed to live their dreams. While the rest of us are stuck regretting everything." Ai said.

"That can't be true." Luffy said.

"While, suprise, it is. My whole family is a resemblance of that statement. While my parents tried to convince us that they are happy as things are, but I heard what they say when they think I'm not around. My mother still wishes she had been a photographer. My dad wishes he was a journalist. My sister wishes she was a nurse. My brother wishes he was a historian. And me?... Hah. I stopped wishing when I realized there was no point." Ai said.

"No way that's true, Ai. Isn't there anything you have hope for? At all?" Luffy asked. Ai scoffed.

"Yeah, right. Maybe that's what I wish for. Something to hope for." Ai said, looking out over the ocean yet again. Luffy grabbed her shoulder and turned her to face him.

"Ai, you say you don't hope for anything. But if that were true, you wouldn't have set foot on this ship. You say you don't wish for anything. If that's true, why did you agree to join my crew?" Luffy asked with a serious face. Ai sighed and looked back over the ocean.

"That's... A pretty good question... I don't know what compelled me to say yes, but I just had a feeling. A small voice told me to go with you. I don't know why." Ai said. Luffy suddenly dragged Ai against him in a hug.

"Huh? L-Luffy! What are you-?" She stuttered out.

"Then hope for me. Because I hope for you." Luffy said.

Ai was frozen. She didn't quite know what to do. For the first time in years, she... Felt something. A warm feeling spread through out her body at Luffy's touch. She didn't quite understand what it was, but she felt... Happy. She felt................ Hopeful.

Ai wrapped her shaking arms around Luffy and returned the hug. She felt tears prick at the edges of her eyes as she closed them.

"I... I hope all of Luffy's dreams come true. And I hope I'll be right by his side. And I...." Her train of thought stopped as she pulled away and saw his giant grin and she felt her heart beat a little faster.

Luffy stroked her cheek and his grin slowly faded from his face and he leaned in closer. Ai froze again, unsure what to do.

Suddenly, the gap between the their lips was closed. Ai could have sword she felt a hand on her back, but as Luffy, deepened the kiss, she didn't care.

"I hope I'll always be by his side." Ai thought as she kissed him.

Meanwhile, Nami and Robin high fived as Robin's arms dissapeared from Ai and Luffy's backs.

[the end]