Don't Run Away - Ace #7

Everything had been fine that morning. Ace had woken up, done a bit of training, eaten breakfast, fallen asleep in the middle of breakfast, woken up, attended to commander duties, eaten lunch, fell asleep during lunch, woken up, finished commander duties, trained more, fallen asleep mid-training and finally, woke up again.

Though apparently, somewhere in his daily routine, he had managed to piss off his normally adoring girlfriend, Aoi.

What he did, he didn't know. And she wasn't going to tell him what he did.

"Aoi, loved one, please, forgive me." Ace said, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Do you even know what you did?" She asked. Ace sighed.

"No, but I'm sure it makes me an asshole." He said. She scoffed. He rested his head on her shoulder.

"Aoi, please talk to me. I hate seeing you like this." He said. She refused to look him in the eye.

"What did I do so bad to where you won't even look at me?" He asked. She pushed away from him.

"I have to return to my duties. You should do the same." Aoi said and walked away. Ace grabbed her arm.

"Aoi, I'm begging you. Tell me what's wrong. Even if I can't help, I can at least listen." Ace said. Aoi turned and punched Ace in the chest as hard as she could.

To a normal man, the punch would have winded him for days and knocked him flat on his ass.

But for Ace, it hardly hurt.

She dropped her arm.

"That is what you did wrong, Ace." She said. Ace stared at her.

"I don't understand." He said.

"You are supposed to train me. But you hold back. I don't know why you're so afraid to hit me, but I'm not getting any stronger, Ace." She said. Ace was shocked.

"Aoi..." Ace started.

"One day, Ace. One day there is going to be a battle you can't save me from." Aoi said, she finally looked at him, tears in her eyes. "And I won't be strong enough to get back to you." She said. She turned and walked off. Ace didn't know what to do.

Sure enough, the battle came, just as Aoi predicted.

They were under attack. Ace, Thatch, Marco and Aoi all were on the enemy ship. However, there were too many for Aoi to take out with her water whip. She wanted to call for Ace, but she was tired of relying on him. She had to do this on her own.

However, her energy was low. She couldn't even manage to make a water shield to protect herself.

She crossed her arms in front of her to protect herself from the sword swinging for her head. She closed her eyes and braced for impact.

She felt blood splatter on her face, but didn't feel the pain of the stab. She opened her eyes to see Ace standing in front of her.

"A-Ace..." Aoi said.

"I'll always protect you." Ace said, blood dripping down his back from the cut that was on his shoulder.

The battle ended and Aoi turned on Doctor mode and began to tend to the wounds of her friends.

"Thanks, Aoi." Thatch said as Aoi wrapped his arm. Aoi smiled at him.

"Of course. Just make sure to watch your back in battle." She said. Thatch ruffled her hair and she finally got to Ace.

"Huh, sea stone sword. Who knew." He laughed uneasily. Aoi didn't say a word to him as she went about cleaning his wound. He hissed and began to bounce a foot as she poured rubbing alcohol directly on the cut. He let out a small wimper of pain. Aoi didn't react.