Coffees and Practices

Silent tears trailed down Hana's cheek. She wondered how she got to this point, and after remembering, she cried harder. Why was it so hard to hate the person who ruined your friendship? Kyungsoo and Baekhyun would be angry if they found out. And Sehun... Well, she didn't want to imagine his disappointment. But what could she do? The circumstances required it. Today after school, Hana had received a note. It flew out of her locker. It asked her to come outside, behind the school building. Suspicious and confused, Hana had crumpled the note. Before she could completely discard the thought, she saw Jaekyung in the hallway, looking right at her. Hana stepped back. He looked...disoriented. His hair were a mess, his eyes were blood shot with eye bags, bruises all over his face.

He pointed at her hands and Hana saw the note. She looked back, and then she understood. But was it wise to go talk to him? The person who contributed to making her life a living hell? But could she ignore it? No, she didn't think she could. She cursed her conscience for that. His behavior since the past few days had been odd, Sehun and the others had noticed that too. But would it be a smart choice to meet this guy, all alone?

After school, Hana ignore the voice in her head.

After school, Hana walked away.

Or at least she planned to.

She was picking up her books from the locker when Sehun called, telling her they'd be waiting for her at the gate. Before she could even attend the call, a hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her along. Hana saw Jaekyung's back and struggled with all her might so he'd let go or loosen his grip to the least. But he didn't. Instead, he gave her a forlorn gaze. Hana didn't stop resisting until he hear him speak.

"Please, I swear I won't do anything. I just need you to hear me out."

Maybe it was the way his voice broke, or the desperate plea in his eyes that made him look so vulnerable, that made Hana submit. She texted Sehun, telling him she'd be going to the library and couldn't attend the call since the phone was on silent. Hana wondered why she agreed to talk to him as he pulled her toward one of the classrooms at the corner of the building. Jaekyung closed the door and Hana took the opportunity to pull her arm away.

"What?" she asked immediately, not wanting to spend more time than necessary in his company.

He chuckled bitterly, "Straight to the point, as always."

Hana shifted uncomfortably, refusing to meet gazes. She stared at his feet, not only because she didn't want to look at his face, but also so she knew how far he was from her. Reading her demeanor, Jaekyung sighed.

"I know what I did was wrong. I also know, that asking for your forgiveness may be useless. But Hana, I'm sorry."

Hana was surprised. His voice was weary and broken...he sounded so sincere. She shifted her gaze from her shoes to his knees. Was this really happening?

"Look, I realize now, okay? I realize everything. I know how stupid I was when I played Yuri like that and I know how much I've hurt you. You two were best friends and I shouldn't have ruined that. I'm so sorry," his voice broke at the end.

Hana looked up reflexively in alarm and saw him looking conflicted. She wondered...

"What happened to you?"

He gave her a sad smile and said, "Karma."

Before she could ask, he explained.

"There's this girl, her name's Kim. I fell for her. Hard. It was different and I really hoped she'd like me just the way I liked her."

His hands clenched into fists, "She used me. I found out a few days ago. See these bruises?", he gestured toward his face," I got them because I got into a fight with the guy she liked."