Chapter 27: Wow

Today is the day that Dianne Robmyer gets older by a year. May 11th.

To sum up everything that happened for the past three days: Tom had won medals for all of his events. The places aren’t announced until the culminating activity so that the athletes will have no choice but to wait. I was bloody proud of him of course, so we went out for pizza after his last competition. Michael and some of my teammates also won medals, but like Tom, we still have no idea on what medal we got.

“Get up sleepy head. There’s something waiting for you on the living room. It’s on top of the table” Clarissa’s voice was a bit garbled, but I got her message. Standing up, I drank the water on the bedside table and walked over to the living room. There was a bouquet of red and white Ecuadorian roses atop the table. Each of the roses was blooming widely and they all looked like they’re freshly picked. There isn’t a card, but written on the pot is a man’s handwriting I could recognize almost everywhere.

To the most amazing woman I know,

Congratulations for winning medals. I always knew you could snag ‘em.

Zayn told me every detail. I’m sure you’re going to get all gold medals!

I’m looking forward to seeing you soon.

Always take care of yourself, love. I’ll always be here for you.

Happy 18th birthday.

Niall x

A tear fell from my right eye, not out of hurt but out of anger. How could he just send these roses and not give them personally?

“Look who gots herself a suitor? Happy birthday, sis!! I got you a little something” a giddy Kasey appeared by the side and tackling me in a hug and flashing a small box, but as I put down the pot of roses, she saw the message and her face fell. “Oh… they aren’t from Tom?”

“Uhm…” I put down the pot and hurriedly ran to my room and grabbed my phone, dialing Niall’s number. He picked up almost instantly. “Hey. Niall here” it was noisy; probably the lads bantering. Great, he didn’t look at the name of the caller again.

“Hi” I breathed, and his surroundings immediately quieted. “Happy birthday, Dianne” Niall said in his most formal voice. “Uhm thanks. And thanks for the roses. Just got them.” I managed to say. “Oh… no problem. The lads have a present for you as well. Zayn said he’ll be the one to give it to you”

“Ehm, okay. Thanks, I guess.” I want to say something more but as usual, nothing came out. “Hey do you want to have lunch today? I think we’re not that far from Hertfordshire, I could go to you” he offered, but Tom first-handedly told me to not go anywhere today, “Sorry, Niall… someone’s already, uhm, taking me somewhere for the day” I scrunched my nose and closed my eyes, preparing for a hurtful response. But instead I got, “oh… is Tom taking you out?” “Uhm…  yeah he kind of asked me earlier… real earlier” He took a deep inhale before saying “That’s great for you, erm, well… okay I got to go now. Bye. Happy birthday again”

“Bye, Niall. And thanks for the flowers… again” I giggled, but he already hung up. I stared at my phone for a full minute, hoping that he’d call back and say those wonderful three words that I loved hearing from him. But there weren’t any calls for the next ten minutes.

My phone was still noisy from receiving calls, though; but they obviously weren’t from Niall. Calls from mom, dad, Jonathan, Cary, Christian, and of course, the lads were all I received throughout half of the day. Tom came to our hotel before lunch. Camille opened the door; I was taking a bath by that time. “Ladies” Tom greeted and gave all of them a cupcake. I knew it was a cupcake because of Clarissa’s loud “OMG CUPCAKES!”