Chapter One: Lethe

Lethe (n.) (English) A river in the Greek underworld that when drunk from, makes souls forget the sufferings of life; something to make you enter oblivion and forget.

(Charlie's POV)

3:30 am darkness surrounded me as the only thing that was lighting me up was an old black and white movie on the television. I was waiting for Harry to come home. I'm so worried about him lately. I could see that he's having trouble with something and it bothers me that I don't know about it. I mean, I'm his sister, and I'm supposed to know what's going on, right? He doesn't talk about it much because he stops me from even trying to, but his eyes talk for himself anyway. His eyes are like the way I feel when I see the sunlight through my window; see how I'm being poetic here- whenever I found out that I haven't slept through the night, when I'd have to drag myself throughout the day and how I'd want to cough out a deep sigh that's been rooting in my chest - disappointment.

Like how I'm disappointed at myself. He's disappointed to himself.

I can't seem to grasp the concept of Harry. Throughout the years we've lived alone all by ourselves. I can't read him like he could read my eyes as if they were the easiest sentences he learned in preschool, or how he senses my emotions in a heartbeat. Finding him out is like solving a puzzle piece that's constantly changing based on the circumstance, like, you know the pieces very well but they don't fit together. There's so much going on with him that sometimes I would just want to discard my knowledge about him, throw it all where I can't find it and start a new blank page, where anything could be possible.

My thoughts were interrupted by a loud knock on the door.

My feet got in touch with the cold floor. I went to the side of the door and I peeked at the curtains of our glass window and saw a familiar shadow - Harry.

I opened the door - the smell of alcohol was present - and he put a bit of his weight on me.

I can't carry how heavy he is, it's like he wanted me to carry him or something, so I assisted him to the couch where he remained conscious but could pass out any time soon.

I can't believe he even managed to drive; he was so drunk.

"Lock the door, Charlie." He mumbled but I could hardly hear him.

"What?" I asked.

(Harry's POV)

Sober thoughts were coming out of my mind in drunken words. I managed to drive home safely. Louis was still on my phone, possibly thinking what to say. I lost the energy to even get a grip on the phone so I dropped it. Liam is probably searching for me because he resisted me from driving home alone but I managed to escape anyway.

Louis though. I called him because I felt like if I drowned myself in alcohol, maybe my brain would fabricate the right words to him and form a coherent sentence, maybe we would finally prevent this dilemma we're in.

"Harry, are you okay?" She knelt before me, her dainty hands caressing my hair as her soft sweet voice triggered a pang on my chest that caused a void of guilt.

"Don't be worried, angel." I murmured.

"How can't I be? You've been acting like this for so long." I felt a slight heaviness in her tone. I hate how I would feel like I'm a burden to her. If she only knew though.

"I'm sorry, Charlie." I tried to sit up still then pulled her into my arms where I felt like she would feel safe, where I felt like a 3 year old hugging a teddy bear to comfort me, only making me sigh all the guilt that was stuck in my chest.

"Don't go out too late like that ever again, please." She mumbled to my neck as we kept the hug.

"You know I can't promise you that." I kissed her forehead and looked her in the eyes; I felt that warmth of worry in the forest of her green iris. I tucked the stray hair that was covering the sides of her face.