Chapter Thirty Two: What kind of person doesn't sing in the shower?

"I look for people who have their own passions in life. You're suppost to surround yourself with people who challenge you."

            - Taylor Swift

____________________________________________________________

Chapter Thirty Two: What kind of person doesn't sing in the shower?

Maxine had never been in a green room before. But one thing she did notice was that it wasn't green. Why are green rooms never green? She was dressed in a red dress that fell just to her knees with a silver band around the waist. The sleeves slipped off her sholders and her hair was styled in a fish tale braid over her shoulder. Her feet were slipped into black flats. She was walking round the green room, looking at all the photos of the celebrities that had been on the show when a stage hand came to usher her onto back stage, ready to go onto the stage. Through the half open door, she could see the news reporters, sitting at their table, talking to the cameras, smiling and laughing together. Butterflies were swarmming around her stomach. More like a swarm of beas than butterflies.

While she was standing there, Melissa was standing next to her, her hands on her shoulders. Maxine really wished her mother wasn't there. Her mother had had nothing to do with her work on the X-Factor, but now that the country wanted to know who she was, her mother had almost completely taken over. It had taken Maxine long enough to convince her not to come onto the interview with her. They'de been sitting in the family work room the week before and Melissa had been determined that Maxine couldn't cope being on a show all on her own.

"Mother." Maxine said in exsaspiration, swinging round from her desk where she'd been doing maths homework to face her mother who was working on the couch. "I don't need to be baby sat. I know what I'm doing."

"But you've never been on a TV set sweetheart." Melissa answered, glancing over the top of her glasses at Maxine. "I'm just going to be there to answer some questions."

"Mum, there aren't going to be any questions you could answer! There's no point in you being there."

"Maxine. . ."

"No Mum!" Maxine cried, standing up. "You're not going to be there. You're not going to take credit for this. Look, I love you and everything, but this isn't about you. Okay? This is about me. Even if they asked you questions, you wouldn't be able to answer them. You have no have no idea about any this. You never ask me any questions. You don't know where I lived for those three months that I was there! You don't know the names of the friends that I made while I was there. You don't know that I now have a boyfriend, who I met on that show! Mum, you don't know the first thing about my time on the X-Factor. You never make an effort to find out anything about my time away. You have no bloody idea how to tell the difference between a saprano and an alto and you have no idea how to tell if you're reading violin music or cello music, so you'll excuse me if I feel like I need to kick you out of my interview." And with that, she slammed her maths text book shut and walked from the room with her head held high, leaving her mother staring after her with her mouth wide open.

Now, Maxine shurgged her hands off her shoulders and took a step away from her.

"Why don't you go and wait in the green room Mum?" She asked. Melissa stared at her for a couple of seconds before she let out a loud sigh and nodded, turning on her heel and walking back the way she'd come. As soon as the door shut behind her, Maxine could breath again, even though, there were two woman attacking her with makeup and hairspray.

And then she was in the chair, smiling at the camera as the main tune for The Morning Show started up and the man behind the camera began to count down. Then the lights came on, the cameras were rolling and the presenter turned towards the camera with a smile.