Work

She felt him press a kiss to the top of her head firmly and she kissed his shoulder  gently. She had almost caughther breath as she heard the noise of the aircraft set in, "damn it," she uttered, "Are you coming?"

"Am I needed?" He asked,

"Yes," Cam shouted as he ran past.

Connie smiled, squeezing Jacob's hand, "Welcome to hell," she uttered, "Trust me, you won't stop for the next few hours."

"Good job we warmed up," he laughed, following her onto the aircraft and watching as Connie and the rest of the medics checked their stations for equipment.

"All aboard?" The pilot asked through the tannoy loudly.

"Yes Sir," Cam replied, recounting him team before introducing Jacob,.

To say the aircraft was overrun was an understatement. The amount of wounded almost doubled the amount of staff and the doctors found they had at least two patients each. Cam was struggling with a complex patient that had lost both legs below the knee, even with the vascular surgeon shouting orders over the roar of the engine. "Connie, hand your patients over to  Mike and Jacob, come here a minute."

Connie nodded, explaining to both men what they needed to do.

She quickly hooked up a bag of blood, before changing the ventilator settings. "Connie... those settings are too harsh."

She shook her head, "I've seen this before... it's the shock, it's preventing him from taking his own breaths, lower the settings and he has to breathe on his own."

They watched for what seemed like hours before his blood pressure and vital signs rose. Connie adjusted the settings once more, allowing the soldier to breathe more deeply for himself. "You're going to need to watch him, as soon as his breaths overtake the machine, you can probably take him off the ventilator.

"Nice work," Cam admitted, "He had me confused."

"Sometimes you need a bit of outside help," she smiled, wondering why the journey was taking them so long this time.

"We had to lower the pressure in the aircraft for the pulmonary patients.. that's why we've been aboard for so long," Cam explained.

"I see," she nodded, her gaze wondering over to Jacob and how at ease he looked.

"He's a good nurse I see," Cam nodded, watching how quickly and accurately Jacob stitched a large cut.

"I trained him... of course he is," Connie laughed, "I don't have anyone on my team in Holby who is any less than excellent."

Cam laughed and watched as she walked over to Jacob and Jade, "You okay here?"

They both nodded and she smiled before kissing Jacob's cheek gently before running over to help a young nurse. "Have you told her how much you love her?" Jade asked, watching as he raised his eyebrow at her, 

"Not yet," he admitted, "how did you know?"

"It's obvious in the way you look at her... Tell her..."