Moving forwards

"I need to talk to you," Connie asked Cam as she popped her head into the treatment room he was in,

"No such thing as five minutes peace here is there," he smiled, before noticing how her face fell, "I'm joking Connie, I always have time for you, what's the matter,"

"I erm..."

He closed the door and guided her so she sat on an over turned crate,

"I had some bleeding this morning,"

He nodded, "have you told jacob,"

She shook her head, "not yet,"

"Come with me."

She watched as he lead her into a treatment room and closed the door, "when was your last period,"

She shrugged, "I only realised last week I haven't had one for two months, I'm on the pill, I'm not sure why I didn't realise,"

"And this morning?"

"I felt sick and then had stomach pain unlike anything I've ever felt... Then there was a lot of blood," she admitted,

"You sure you don't want to grab Jacob before I check you over?"

"Just get it out the way," she uttered, "he worries, and id rather talk to him in private,"

She allowed Cam to check her over , watching as he took off his apron and through his gloves in the bin. She rearranged her underwear before pulling on her trousers and watching as he sat beside her on the bed,

"I've miscarried haven't I..." She uttered, placing her hand on her stomach,

"I can't say for definite without a further scan, but... Yes... I'm sorry,"

She sighed, "I was worried about how to broach the subject of children with Jacob... I guess I have no choice now,"

She stood up, before allowing him to hug her firmly, "I'm sorry Con,"

"Me too," she admitted.

She sat back down, grateful as he sat beside her and squeezed her hand.

"Do you think it was something I did? You know... That made me lose the baby?"

He shook his head, "no connie, the early days are unpredictable, you know that,"

She nodded, "I don't want to tell him,"

"That man loves you," Cam nodded, "he's a good man, let him show you what a good man he is,"

"Have you seen Connie today?" Cam asked Jacob as he grabbed a cup of tea from the staff room,

"She's gone to lay down..."

"Go and tell her you love her, she has something she needs to tell you... I think she blames herself,"

"Cam..."

"Go and speak to her,"

His heart leapt as he saw Connie curled up in their bed, her hands on her flat stomach. She looked like she'd been crying and he stripped down into his underwear before he joined her in bed,

"Jacob," she uttered, "I'm so sorry,"

"What's happened sweetheart?"

"You're going to hate me,"

He kissed her forehead as she turned to face him, "Connie... I couldn't hate you, surely you know that."

She placed her hand on his face, "I've missed two periods," she admitted, "and with everything going on out here I guess I overlooked it... I woke up with stomach pain and nausea this morning and I was bleeding... There was so much blood I..." She shrugged, "Cam checked me over, I was probably pregnant... And this morning I miscarried," she told him quietly, "I'm sorry,"

"Connie," he spoke quietly, wrapping his arm around her waist and trailing his fingers up and down her back,

"It's not your fault... You're not to blame... Apart from the stress of being out here, you look after yourself properly... It would have happened if we were at home,"

"I don't even know if you want children," she uttered, "but..."

He smiled, tucking her hair behind her ear, "it's not something I've ever been in the position to think about properly... But I..." He smiled, "I want nothing more than to have a baby with you..."

She found the tears flowed freely down her cheeks again and he held her too him, "it's okay... We can try again," he smiled, "when you're pregnant we can move home and work normal hours and buy a house together,"

She smiled, "you mean that?"

"When do I ever say anything I don't mean," he replied honestly, "I love you, and I want us to move forward with our life together,"

She kissed him gently, before allowing him to pull her onto his chest as he lay on his back, holding her so tightly, "are you in pain?" He asked her quietly,

"I have a stomach ache, but it's not really pain," she admitted.

They lay in silence for a few minutes, "imagine how beautiful they'd be," he smiled against her hair,

"Who?" She asked leaning up on her elbow and running her hand up and down his chest,

"Our children," he smiled, making her smile back at him,

He ran his fingertips across her cheeks, "that's better, you look even more beautiful when you smile,"

She lay back down against his chest and closed his eyes, "I love you Jacob Masters,"

"I love you."

"How is she?" Cam asked Jacob as he sat down beside him by the fire.

"I've swapped places with Jade while I grab some food," Jacob replied, "she's sad... But she's okay,"

"The two of you have something special," he told Jacob, "she's not the type of person to open up easily, but she trusts you,"

"We're going to try for a baby," Jacob admitted, "but I feel sad that when she's pregnant we will have to leave all this behind,"

"We're going to hate letting you two go," Cam admitted, but you will make lovely parents."