Three in a bed

A few weeks later Jade was on the mend, and Connie was glad to have her friend back.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Connie asked her,

Jade grinned as Cam stood beside the two of them, "of course, and besides id never hear the end of it if you two had to save my life again,"

Connie looked at Cam and rolled her eyes,

"Let's go team," she smiled.

The shift had been longer and more gruelling than ever, fourteen hours since they had originally boarded the aircraft, the patients were all finally stable.

"What's the matter with him?" Jade asked, watching as Cam sighed and began to walk away from the staff. "He usually gives us a pep talk after a shift like today's,"

Connie took a sip of water, "the soldier that we lost today was his friend... They've worked out here together on and off for years,"

"Shit," Jade uttered, before rooting under her bed as Connie watched her intently,

"I couldn't tell you how old these beers are," she smiled before handing them to Connie, "go and see if you can get him to open up,"

"Me?"

Mike appeared, "you seem to be the only one he will listen too,"

Connie exhaled and rolled her eyes, "if he sacks me you two have a lot to answer for."

Connie noticed Cam sat with his back against the gates of the compound. She smiled, "this is usually my hiding place,"

He looked up at her and smiled slightly, "do you mind sharing?"

She handed him a beer before sitting down next to him, "just this once."

She could see he was trying to hold it together and sat silently, before taking his hand in hers,

"Jesus Christ," he uttered, finally allowing the tears to roll down his tired cheeks. Connie for her part sat beside him in silence and squeezed his hand hard,

"Go home, go to his funeral... You need some time away from here, spend time with your wife, go and finally meet his family like you two always spoke about..."

He shrugged, "I have this place to run,"

She rolled her eyes, "Come on Cam... You've got this place so set up it almost runs itself,"

He rested his head back against the wall again, turning to face her, "who's going to make sure you take a break and eat properly?"

"Jade," she smiled,

"I'll think about it,"

She leaned against him, "you want me to leave you alone?"

He shook his head, "no."

Handing him another bottle of beer she smiled, clinking her bottle against his, "To corporal dave Calder," they both nodded.

The next day Cam met the team at breakfast, "I want to thank you all for yesterday, it was a tough day for us all and we did well. Now as some of you know, I'm going home for two weeks... She's in charge," he announced, pointing at Connie, "if you need a senior or second opinion on a patient, Connie will be your first point of call,"

Connie rolled her eyes before standing up and hugging him, "if you happen to run into jacob, give him a hug from me,"

Jade laughed, "and a punch in the arm from me,"

"Go... We will be fine,"

Connie was surprised as Jade entered her tent later that evening, before sitting on the bed. Connie smiled and moved over, watching as Jade got in beside her, "it's weird without Cam here, and I miss my husband,"

Connie turned to face her, "I'm glad you're better, it's nice having you back,"

"I have to admit connie, even before you saved my life, your the best girl friend I've got," she admitted, "I never really got on with woman that well before,"

Connie smiled, the two of them looking up as Mike popped this head through the tent,

"Tough few days hey?" He asked, smiling as Jade moved over to let him in the bed too,

Jade took a picture of the three of them and sent it to Jacob once she got his number off Connie.

"Don't worry jacob masters, we're keeping her warm tonight." She messaged as Connie laughed,

Jacob responded almost immediately with a selfie of himself and Cam at a bar, making the three of them smile, "Cam said he's glad you're all getting on. You both better give Connie a squeeze from me. Cam and I send love to all of you. Xx"

Connie turned so she lay with her arm across jades stomach, her hand on Mike's forearm, "goodnight team," she smiled as they all closed there eyes and a