Chapter 7 : Roller-Coaster ride.

Aman's P.O.V :

"Walk with me", said Lilly as she passed by my cubicle and I sprang to my feet following her.

"Morning Lilly", I said as I caught up with her pace walking along with her.

"Morning. Write down", she said and looked at me, I had a confused expression. She shook her head and handed me a writing pad and a pen.

"A few things, a) Always have a writing pad and a pen, b) Learn to walk fast, c) Do not make me repeat things twice", she said and entered a lift. I followed. "Also... I will call you Aman from now on; Amandeep is too long, unless you have a problem". I nodded; I didn't have a problem at all. Everyone I knew called me Aman, and to be honest, I couldn't help but think how it sounded a little cute when she called me that.

She dictated a few things I had to get done by evening and I wrote it down in as legibly as possible, which was hard as she spoke really fast. I was a person who loved to take life slow and enjoy it, while she was always in a hurry to finish things, it was hard to maintain my pace.

...

Three days later I was a little better acquainted to my work. It basically involved running around the whole building and getting things done as Lilly did not depend on people to do it on the right time. I had to keep a check on every process and makes sure there was no delay of any sort in anything.

I was on my way to the costume department when I heard my phone ring, it was Lilly.

"Yes Lilly, I am done with the allotting the final scripts, I am now on my way to the costume department", I said as soon as I picked up the phone.

"I know. I want you to come to the 10th floor now", she said, in her usual commanding voice which made people get scared and get things done for her.

"Umm, but the costume department...". I tried to explain but Lilly being Lilly she wouldn't listen.

"Now.", she said and hung up.

I heaved a loud sigh and pressed the number 10 in the elevator.

I entered the 10th floor which was a cafeteria and I looked around to finally spot Lilly sitting on the corner table with her laptop open typing away into infinity. I walked up to her and stood in front of her with my files in hand, ready with a pen and a writing pad to jot down what she would ask me to do next.

She looked at me for a split second, "Sit", she said and got back to her laptop. She typed something more before finally closing the window and looking at me.

"These are the final edited scripts", I said as I opened the file I held in my hand to show her but she gently took the file away from me and placed it on the side of the table.

I looked at her confused and then the waiter came to our table and placed a plate of burger fries and a juice in front of me, and a similar plate in front of her.

I looked at the food and then at her.

"I know you are a non-vegetarian, so I ordered a chicken burger for you, I hope that's okay", she said and then sipped her juice.

"Ummm... Yeah", is all I could say as I stared at her. She ordered food for me?

"Eat Aman, you haven't had anything since morning and it's already an hour past lunch time", she said, her voice sounding a little softer than her usual icy tone.

"Thank you", I whispered and picked up the burger, it was only when I started eating that I realised how hungry I actually was.

I munched away in silence while Lilly went on working on her computer while she had her lunch. Man does this lady ever rest? I wondered as I looked at her take a bite in between before getting back to her burger. I was in awe of her hustle. She would always come earlier than me or anyone to the office, and stay back way later after the office hours. Anytime of the day I could see her working away.

I was munching on the fries when I noticed Sam enter the cafeteria. A smile instantly spread across my face as she noticed me and waved a 'hi' in excitement, until she noticed Lilly was sitting beside me after which she went to sit far away. I had not spoken to Sam frequently ever since I had become Lilly's assistant. I missed her.

"You can carry on, sit with her, I do not mind", Lilly said raising her head from her computer.

"Uh... no it's okay", I said, though I wanted to go to Sam, I felt it awkward to leave Lilly alone.

"Go on Aman, you haven't spoken to her since a while", she smiled. A smile we got to see very rarely. I was touched by how she had actually noticed that me and Sam were friends.

"Okay", I said as I got up from the chair with my plate and started to walk to Sam.

"Aman?", Lilly called out. I turned around to see her.

"Be back by 3", she said and I nodded ayes.

"Soooo? How is our new assistant doing?", laughed Sam as I approached her and sat down by her side with my plate.

"Ahhh! I missed you too Sam", I laughed.

"You seem pretty okay; I thought the boss lady would have made you a crazy person by now", she chuckled, "How is it working with her? Does she drive you nuts? Call you in the middle of the night and ask for deadlines? Tell me... tell me everything", she said, her eyes wide with curiosity which made me laugh.

"Noo! Actually, she is nothing like that. She is a pretty cool boss. And to be honest a pretty hardworking one also", I said and genuinely meant every word. In the past few days I had seen up-close as to how much Lilly hustled and had developed a major sense of respect towards her.

"Ah what? Come onnnn! I was waiting to hear all the gossip and you just ruined it all for us", she laughed.

"Well, you should see her work, even you will feel the same way", I said as I looked back at Lilly who was still working on her computer while having lunch.

"Hmmm... I can never see her like that", said Sam, "I will always see her as the lady who messed up my life".

"What? Why do you say that Sam?", I asked, a little curious and surprised about how people had misconception about Lilly.

"She was the one who got me stuck it Team A", she said and I raised my eyebrows, "What?", I asked hoping I had misheard it.

"I was not allotted to Team E, so they were planning to put me in team B or C, which I was still okay with as I felt singing or dancing would be better than doing make up. But Lilly intervened and told them she needed a help in Team A and she wanted me here in her team. So I got stuck here editing this sh*t", she said bitterly.

"Oh", I said, slowly understanding why Sam did not like Lilly. I looked back at Lilly, I was confused. Sometimes I would feel she was such a hardworking woman, while other times when I heard things like this I would wonder how could she be so ruthless?. There was something very wrong about things that were told to me.

The more I got to know Lilly, the more I wanted to know her better.

She was a mystery I wanted to solve.