Chapter 39 : Hold on for me

A/N : A special thanks to Salwa for editing the cover picture for this chapter. Do check her out on twitter ( @Iam5alwa ); she makes dope edits! :)
- Emotional Wreck

"Aman...", said Lilly one last time before her hand slipped and Aman watched in shock as she fell down.

Lilly fell into the stream that was flowing below the bridge. Aman panicked, he pressed the buzzer to call for help, he then got down the bridge and dove into the stream. He hoped and prayed she was fine as the bridge was not too high. The fact that he did not find Lilly struggling or trying to swim like he had expected was what got him even more worried.

By the time Aman found Lilly and carried her out of the stream, help had arrived. She was unconscious, but had just a few bruises which gave him some hope. It was only when he laid her down on the ground he noticed his hand was totally blood stained. Shocked he lifted her head to see she was injured on the back of her head.

The next two hours was a complete blur to Aman. He vaguely recalled crying his eyes out while Lilly was being attended to by the paramedics. He remembered holding her hand throughout the journey till they had reached the hospital. He remembered losing his mind and pacing around the corridors until Aaron and Ryan had come to calm him down. They had told him a hundred times that she was out of danger but he still couldn't get a hold of himself.

Aman was now sitting on the couch in the waiting room along with Ryan, his mind clouded by a million thoughts.

"It's all my fault", he said as he held his head in his hands.

"What?", Ryan looked at him, "Come on man".

"No... It was my fault", he sniffled, "I was the one who was upset with her for no reason", he said as he shook his head, "She was trying to cheer me up and I was such an idiot".

"Aman please man", Ryan placed a hand on his shoulder, "It was not your fault. It was an accident", he tried to convince him.

"No Ryan. I should have looked out. I should have seen the broken railing. She was walking reverse, I should have watched her way for her", he said, "It's all my fault".

"Aman, you are making no sense", Ryan tried to be firm, "And she is fine. The doctors said she is out of danger"

"Then why are they not allowing me to see her?", Aman snapped at Ryan

"Aman listen-" Ryan stopped mid sentence when he saw the lady nurse approach them.

"Mr Singh?", she said looking at Aman.

Aman sprang to his feet immediately, "W-what happened?", he asked with worry.

"Mr. Singh, your wife is recovering, she is out of danger, please calm down", she saidas she gently placed a hand on his shoulder, her eyes full of sympathy.

"I need to see her", he stated, he was not convinced with anyone until he would see Lilly himself.

"And you will Mr. Sing. Soon", she said, her voice really calming, "I came to hand you the clothes and jewelries of your wife. We needed to take the jewelries off as she is being sent for a scan to rule out any internal injuries just in case", she said as she handed him a plastic bag.

Aman nodded silently as he took the bag from the nurse. He sat back down as the nurse left. He opened the bag and his heart ached as he saw her clothes. He pulled out her favorite black top with 'One Love' written on it. The white letters now stained a little red. Her off white denim shorts she had particularly brought for this vacation.

He then notice a little zip-lock bag, he pulled out to see it was her little jewelries. All her piercings were in it along with her superwoman ring and her wedding ring. He picked her wedding ring and he looked at it, tears clouded his vision as he re-called the night he had given her the ring.