chapter two

Serenity Morales

I found myself in school the following Monday. I had managed to stay in my room the entire night and this time, I refused to help clean up with Marissa. I was tired of always cleaning up her dirty work for her, it was growing irritating. Especially since I for one didn't even want the party.

She was so mad at me that she refused to drive me to school. I had to ask Korina to pick me up because I supposedly wasn't trust worthy enough for a car, according to my parents. If only they knew what Marissa did every time they were gone, they'd confiscate the car faster than she could blink.

My parents weren't necessarily over the top strict but they weren't one of those parents who let their children run around all loosey- goosey. We weren't rich but we weren't poor either, just an average family I guess. If I had to say though, Marissa, even though I loved her was spoiled. Usually it's the youngest who got the most attention, well not in this family.

I loved my parents and I'm sure they loved me, but sometimes it didn't feel that way. They were workaholics, preferring work than going to their own daughter's ballet recital when I was in middle school or Marissa's swim meet last August. But we were used to it and we didn't complain. We couldn't, anyhow. I guess we had each other.

Marissa never complained though. She was too busy partying or drowning her unknown to me sorrows in alcohol. I wonder if my parents even bothered to look at her report card that I took a peek at. Surely, I don't have the best grades but they were terrible. She was barely passing and if not, she was failing and pretty badly. But, Marissa would not talk to me. She was in her own little world, and I never opened up to her either or pretty much anyone. I kept it mostly to myself and constantly reminded myself that there were other people who had it worse and I should just suck it up.

"How come you weren't at Marissa's party?" I lazily asked Korina, lounging in her comfortable car seat. My feet were kicked up on be dashboard as she ate a breakfast sandwich from Dunkin Donuts. I could never eat in the morning, I always felt queasy. We were waiting for school to start, we had another thirty minutes.

I took a sip of my iced latte as I awaited her answer.

She swallowed. "Oh, she had a party?"

I nodded, placing it back in the cup holder. "Yeah, and I saw Lucas."

"Oh," she mumbled. "I wasn't feeling well anyway, I had cramps," she groaned.

"That sucks," I sighed out, looking out the window. I squinted as I noticed a black car with tinted windows hanging around a tree. I found it odd but shrugged my shoulders and looked back at Korina who was now taking a sip of her coffee. "I met the biggest asshole of my life there."

She laughed. "You think every guy is an asshole."

"Well, he topped the scale. Actually he broke it, he's his own rating," I muttered. "Even though he was attractive, his personality completed destroyed it."

"Oh, really? Did you happen to catch this asshole's name?" She asked. "Maybe I know him."

"I didn't ask and I don't want to know."

She rolled her eyes. "Well what did he look like?"

"Brown eyes, light hair, sleeve of tattoos, which I must admit was really hot," I admitted.

From the corner of my eye, I saw her biting her lip. She raised the cup to her lips again but said nothing.

"Korina," I said, my tone accusing. "What are you not telling me?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said, looking over at me.

"You know the asshole, don't you?"

Then that made me think. Why would Korina know a drug dealer? He seemed like he would murder me in a heartbeat so why did she know someone like that?

My eyes narrowed at her.

"I don't, I'm sorry," she mumbled, brushing, her hair out of her face and licking her lips. "We should get going, Lucas is probably waiting for me."

Is Korina on drugs? She didn't look like it but at the moment, that seemed like the only logical explanation for the way she recoiled like that.

I got out of the car, yet again glancing at the black car. I shouldn't be so curious—curiosity killed the cat but I couldn't help it. When I turned back around, Korina was gone. I'm assuming she went inside the school.

My feet lazily walked into my eight hour hell, still my mind on the car. It was shinny and would attract anyone like a baby. I had this eerie feeling that someone was watching me. Then again, no one had a reason to and this is my first time actually seeing the car.

I bid myself to calm down, walking to my locker.

***