chapter thirty five

Serenity's POV

The plane ride was incredibly long and quiet. Things were much more quiet lately and I completely understood. I tried to be there for him as much as I could, as much as he allowed. He wasn't really big on me holding his hand during the flight but I did it anyway. I was nervous being on a plane, it had been only my second time ever. The first time I was young so I didn't really remember it. This time I was older and my fears were eating me alive.

I was extremely grateful that my dad let me go with Justin. When I told him that his father died he completely understood. I knew better than to go to my mom about this situation. She still didn't like Justin and we still weren't talking much. Either way I knew she would've said no. She had always been much stricter compared to my dad. I still always wonder how they ended up together. They were just so...different.

I looked out the window as we began our descent. Justin seemed to finally wake up and he rubbed his hands up and down his face.

"Nice nap?" I asked with a small smile.

"Not really. I had a nightmare," he muttered before looking away. My smile dropped instantly. "We have a car coming to pick us up to go the hotel before we see my mom."

I nodded. He decided on just showing up at his mother's doorstep the day before the funeral. I couldn't exactly argue with him, even though I felt that he should've maybe called. I guess he was nervous that he wouldn't be received well and how could she turn him away if he was standing at her front door?

I was nervous to meet his mother. I had no idea what she was like. If she was anything like mine, judgmental and harsh, I didn't think I wanted to meet her. There was no turning back now however. We were here and I was going to meet his mother whether I liked it or not. Besides, this wasn't about whether his mother will like me or not like me this was about reconciliation and a funeral.

During the plane landing, I grabbed his hand tightly. He didn't reciprocate it before he finally did. I let out a sigh in delight knowing that we were mutually there for one another.

After getting off the plane and getting our luggage, we read the many signs with different names on them. Spotting ours we walked over to the guy and he lead us to the car.

"I'm Carlisle, it's nice to meet you both," he greeted us as we walked. "Is this your first time in Canada?"

I knew Justin wasn't really in the mood for talking so I spoke up. "It's my first time but he's from here."

He nodded in understanding. "Oh, what part?"

Which part, however, I wasn't sure of.

"Stratford," Justin responded.

Once inside the car, I looked out the window. Carlisle continued to make conversation which I mostly kept up with. I didn't want to be rude but I honestly just wished he would shut up.

"Well here we are," he said. I happily exited the car and Justin did too. I grabbed the luggage while Justin gave the guy a tip which he thanked him for. I put my duffle bag over my shoulder as did Justin and we began walking to the hotel.

"I thought he would never shut up," Justin muttered. "Jesus."

I laughed. "Maybe if you actually responded back he wouldn't have talked so much." His look flattened and I immediately felt bad. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound like I'm trying to force you to feel better."

"I know what you meant," he grumbled.

I stood to the side as he got the hotel room key. He gestured for me to follow him and we were up in the elevator and room before I could even blink.