chapter twenty six

I woke up to violent muttering and thrashing. My eyes opened in a sudden panic, looking around the room. I took a breather once I noticed my surroundings, but I frowned deeply. I noticed that Justin was untangled from me, but that's not what was bothering me.

His eyes were shut, but I could tell that his eyeballs were moving rapidly. They flickered back and forth, what seemed to be an endless repeat. His body was quaking, as he thrashed from side to side. I could see that he was sweating and whatever he was dreaming about was causing him an enormous amount of stress.

I was hesitant, but went to wake him up.

"Justin," I said softly.

He continued his muttering and violent thrashing.

"No...no, stop," he muttered. "I'm sorry."

I was a little curious to what he was dreaming about.

"Justin," I said again.

"I'm sorry," he continued to repeat.

"What are you sorry for?" I tried.

His face contorted and he seemed to be in pain. "No...no...no!" He shouted. "No!"

My eyes widened as I began to shake him. "Justin, wake up," I said, this time more urgently.

"Come back," he began to cry.

I was shaking him much more violently now. "Justin," I said one final time before he finally opened his eyes.

He stared at me for a minute or two, pure confusion etched on his face. Hell, I was confused. I didn't know what he could have possibly been dreaming about to react that way.

"It was just a nightmare," I told him softly, running my fingers through his hair comfortingly.

His lips parted, but he said nothing. He took a deep breath before his arms reached out and he pulled me onto his chest. I was a little shocked at the sudden movement and contact. He hugged me tightly, tight enough where I couldn't even hug back.

"You're here," he said, almost as though he didn't believe it. "Please tell me this is real."

I felt confused, but I allowed him to hold me.

"Of course I'm here. I never left," I reminded him softly. "This is very much real."

"I thought I lost you. It was my fault..."

"It was just a nightmare," I told him.

"But it felt so real. I—There was blood everywhere. I held your body in my arms. You were so pale—" He shut his eyes briefly. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing?" I asked in confusion.

"I'm just sorry," he shrugged. "For letting you down."

"You didn't let me down. You've helped me with so much. I should be the one apologizing."

He shook his head. "You have nothing to apologize for." He pulled my forehead against his, kissing my lips softly. "What time is it?"

I glanced over at the clock. "3 am."

He laid back, letting out a sigh. "Hopefully I don't have another nightmare. Let's get back to sleep. Sorry I woke you up." He looked embarrassed.

"It's okay." I smiled at him before laying my head on his chest.

I went home the next day, avoiding awkward conversation. I luckily didn't see Jada or Daniel. In fact, everyone was still sleeping when Justin and I left. Korina was sleeping in and I didn't blame her. She had a rough night.