chapter nine

Serenity Morales

Justin took me home the next day. I got my 5k in cash, can you believe that? I had to drag it in a duffle bag, stuffing it in my closet under a pile of clothes. I spent the rest of the weekend in my room and my parents didn't seem to notice I was missing yet again. Except this time I was actually grateful.

Sunday night my mom gave me back my phone and she said that if I ever did that again she would ground me longer and take away all of my electronics and privileges. I believed her and I said I wouldn't, but I didn't know what the future held. I couldn't determine whether I would suddenly not be safe enough to stay at home. I couldn't make any promises, but I had to lie to her and say that I would never do it again.

I texted Justin and told him that I got my phone back. We chatted for a short period of time, but it was nothing major. Just our usual banter, taunts and mindless flirting.

Did I just say flirting? Certainly I didn't flirt with Justin, but I mean it was in his nature. He was just a flirt. Okay, maybe I do flirt with him sometimes but I didn't like him.

When I climbed into his car Monday morning, we did our usual morning routine of getting coffee.

"You're gonna have to get Korina to take you home," Justin said after a while of driving in silence. I sipped my coffee. "I have things to do."

I nodded with a simple shrug. "What do you have to do?" I asked nosily, knowing that I shouldn't have asked. He hated when I asked questions but I wanted to know.

"Business," he answered dryly. He clearly didn't want to talk about and that made me slightly aggregated. He never told me anything, but hey it's not like I probably wouldn't have done the same thing.

I pulled my lips into my mouth. "Okay."

I got out of the car with a goodbye once we pulled up to the school. It was kinda early, but for some reason today I didn't feel like sitting in the car. I felt cooped up enough in my house all week. I needed freedom, space and breathing room.

I wandered through the vacant hallways, coffee still in hand as I sipped it. There weren't that many people here. It was only 8 o'clock and school started in thirty minutes. It seemed as though no one wanted to be here before at least 8:20.

I wandered into the library, a place where I could quietly relax. I eerily felt like someone was watching me but I brushed it off. Even though I knew someone was watching me, I doubt they'd be from my school.

I saw Maya, a girl from my English class. Soft blue eyes and golden blonde hair, sitting alone and reading a book.

"Mind if I sit here?" I asked, a little fearful of rejection. Sure we've talked before but it's not as though we were best friends. Maybe she wanted to be alone.

She looked up, smiling. "No, not at all." I took the seat across from her. "You're here early."

I nodded. "Yeah, I don't usually like getting here early but," I shrugged, showing that I didn't really mind it. "Do you always come here early?"

"Yes, it's quite peaceful actually. I usually wake up early to go for a run, and then I take a shower once I go home. It's usually 7:45 when I get here. It's nice to be here without the usual screaming banshees also known as the student body."

I giggled. "They are loud aren't they?"

She rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Tell me about it. That's why Mrs. Steves is always kicking someone out of the library."

Mrs. Steves was our school librarian. I may have got kicked out with Korina once or twice. But in my defense Korina is the one with the big mouth.