chapter thirty six

Serenity's POV

The funeral procession was incredibly upsetting. Watching everyone cry around me wasn't exactly entertaining. Justin, however, still didn't shed a tear and I didn't hold it against him. He looked blank faced and yet still looked a little solemn. He held on to my hand tightly the entire time and I never let go. I couldn't even if I tried.

Many people came up to him to give them their condolences. I could see he didn't want it. He faked a smile and thanked them. He told me he hadn't seen maybe of them for years and they uttered "it's good to have you back."

After meeting his grandparents yesterday, they wanted to have a family get together after the funeral. I felt uncomfortable and wasn't sure if I was invited but they told me of course I was. Like his mother, they were incredibly sweet but I could tell once we were in the car that Justin wasn't in the mood to see anyone.

"I told my mom we're going back to the hotel to get changed," he said quietly.

I nodded. I wanted to get out of this dress anyway. I bought it just for this occasion and i would never wear it again. Now the memory was attached to it. It was suffocating.

I laid my head on his shoulder and stroked his hand in the car. He was seeming a little distant again but I wanted him to know i was here and I wasn't leaving.

Once in the hotel room, we began getting changed. I went into the bathroom and shimmied out of the dress and switched for a sweater and some jeans. It was fairly cold here. Way colder than back home. Once I was nestled up and ready to go, I exited the bathroom.

I paused at the door hesitantly. I saw Justin sitting on the bed with his back to me. He was a little hunched over as his shoulders shook. I walked over cautiously, feeling my heart constrict.

He was crying.

I wasn't sure whether he'd get angry with me or not but I sat down on the bed next to him. I hesitantly put my hand on his back and rubbed it soothingly. I couldn't help but be shocked as he threw his arms around me and began to cry into my shoulder. I hugged him even tighter.

"It's okay, it's gonna be okay," I whispered softly. "Let it out."

We sat in that position as he cried without saying anything and I didn't expect him to. I just continued to comfort him just like he had comforted me all of those times. It was the least I could've done when he's already done so much for me.

"Thank you," he whispered after a while.

"Don't thank me," I said softly. "I'll always be here for you."

He pulled away and rubbed his eyes before letting out a deep sigh. "Now I'm tired."

"If you want we can just tell your grandparents we can't do today and stay in," I shrugged.

He cracked a small smile before standing up and stretching. "As much as I'd love that I think I've spent enough time avoiding my family. I don't want them to think I'm not actually sorry and that I'll just disappear again."

I nodded. "I understand."

He leaned down and kissed my lips. "But thank you for caring. We can leave now if you're ready."

I stood up with a nod. "Yes, I am."

***

"And when he was younger he would always come running to me," Diane, his grandmother, said triumphantly.

"Ha! Whenever he was in trouble or had girl troubles I was always the one who he came to," His grandfather Bruce said.

I let out a small chuckle as they argued back and forth.