chapter twenty eight

Serenity's POV

We both got out of the bed and he put his arm around my shoulder, kissing the side of my head.

"How about I take you out for your birthday. Just the two of us. How does that sound?" He asked.

I looked up at him. "I told you don't want anything, Justin."

He rolled his eyes. "Fine." I could tell by the look on his face, he wasn't going to listen to a single word I said.

"I mean it," I sent him a warning look.

"And I said fine," he said.

He glared at him and he just grinned at me cheekily.

Before we could enter the dining room, he pulled me back and I looked at him in confusion.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I have a question," he said. He took a step back away from me, pushing himself further into the wall. I stared at him as though he had lost his mind when he let out an uneasy laugh. His fingers ran through his hair and he cleared his throat. "Fuck, I'm so nervous."

I scrunched up my eyebrows. "Nervous? Nervous about what?" Now it was my turn to get nervous. My heart was pounding loudly and I was surprised he didn't hear it.

"I don't know to say it," he muttered, entangling our fingers and dropping his gaze to our hands.

"Say it," I encouraged softly, a nervous smile on my face. The last thing I wanted was for him to blurt out that he cheated on me. Could he have cheated on me if we weren't together?

'Shut up, Serenity,' I mentally hissed at myself.

"God knows we've been through a lot. And for some reason you still like me and I like you—a lot, for obvious reasons. You're amazing and you keep me grounded, and, God, you have the cutest cheeks and I love making you blush," he rambled. I could feel my cheeks beginning to heat up before he even commented on my blushing.

"You're adorable. There's no way in hell that I deserve you, but would you do me the honor of being mine?" He asked.

I stared at him, stunned for a moment. I'm sure I looked like an idiot with my mouth nearly hung open, but I was in shock. I always loved when he opened up about his feelings towards me.

"Be my girlfriend?" He asked, a soft but nervous look on his face. I had never seen him look so...shy.

I could feel myself tearing up, but I somehow managed to stop myself from crying.

I nodded eagerly, throwing my arms around him in a tight hug. "Of course I'll be your girlfriend," I muttered into his shoulder as he held me as well. "You're so cute when you want to be."

"You're always cute," he commented making me glare at him, but blush nonetheless.

"Save me the yuck fest," I heard Lucas gag as he passed by us.
We both rolled our eyes at him.

I leaned up and kissed him, feeling his tight grip on me.

We entered the dining room and I couldn't help, but feel jittery. We finally made it official. After all this time of denying my feelings for him and being confused, I finally felt content with where I was. This was where I was supposed to be, I was sure of it.

Sitting down, my eyes moved around the table. Everyone was here and already eating. Unfortunately the awkward tension didn't go away.

I cleared my throat. "I'm glad you're feeling better," I told Lucas.