chapter thirteen

Serenity Morales

It had been a week since the incident. I had to try and pretend like I wasn't looking behind my back every two minutes. I had to pretend like everything was fine. Justin was bedridden, ordered by Daniel and had no say. I did visit Justin everyday, spending time with him and they were fun despite him not being able to go anywhere.

I brought him food. We watched movies or TV, even talked. It was great to have some have someone to just be with, of the opposite gender without any strings attached. I liked the way things were and didn't want them to change for anything.

Lucas had been dropping and picking Korina and I up from school everyday. He didn't really have a choice, seeing as Justin ordered him to do it. Yes, ordered.

And now here we were in Lucas' car, on my way to see Justin and on their way to have privacy. I felt bad for basically third wheeling, but I didn't have a say.

But before we reached the house, Lucas pulled up to the gas station. He leaned over, giving Korina a quick kiss before telling her he'd be right back and sauntered into the gas station.

"You guys are so cute," I cooed. I would never find anything like that.

She blushed. "He's great. Everything's great."

"Well isn't that great," I laughed at her excessive use of the word. She must be really happy and I wondered when I would feel that happiness. The joy of being around someone so much. Not only that person being my happiness, but me being their happiness as well. I don't think I could personally make anyone happy since I'm such a downer, but maybe out there, there was someone who felt the same way I did.

"You know," her tone hinted, that she knew I wasn't going to like where the subject was going. I groaned, oh great. "You two could be like that, if you actually admitted your feelings for one another."

"Would you stop? I don't like Justin," I grumbled, leaning back in my seat again.

"Aha! I didn't even say a name and you thought I was talking about Justin. You like him!" She exclaimed making me cover my ears.

"You're hurting my ears," I groaned. "That proves nothing. Obviously you wouldn't be talking about me and Daniel."

"How do you know?" She raised an eyebrow. "You and Daniel would be very cute together. Not that Justin would approve anyway."

I stared at her. "Are you insane?"

She smiled and nodded. "Yes!" After a moment, she became serious again. "Justin likes you too, he'll never admit it."

"Can we drop this?" I asked in annoyance. How many times have we had this conversation?

"Do you honestly think he's that badly beaten to stay bedridden the whole week? He likes your attention. He likes for you to baby him. Most of all, he liked spending time with you. Just watch, you'll see." She sounded like she had it all put together, as if she actually put thought into this.

I rolled my eyes. I actually thought about it for a second, but it doesn't make sense because Justin does not like me. Lucas saved me from an awkward reply to a statement that I had no answer to and I mentally thanked him, taking a breath.

Once we got to the house, I hopped up the stairs to where Justin was moved after the third day. Well, he practically demanded to be taken up to his room. Peeking my head in the door, I caught sight of him watching TV. I shut the door behind me, sitting on his black and white silk sheets.

"Hey," I breathed out and he glanced over at me.

"Hey."

I kicked off my shoes like I always did, moving more to lay next to him. We watched TV in silence for the next half hour or so and I couldn't help but notice the awkward tension in the room.