chapter thirty seven

Serenity Morales

After landing back home, I was ready to go home and go to sleep. However, I agreed to meet up with Gray. Justin and I stopped to get something to eat before we drove to the place.

"So is there where he lives?" He asked with a mouthful of fries.

"First of all, don't talk with your mouth full," I made a face. "Second of all, I'm not sure. I haven't been to his house yet."

"Good," he said. I glared at him and I know he saw me but he continued to shove fries down his throat like a wild animal. "We're starting to get to the bad side of town. Your boy looks a little rich to be living over here."

I shrugged. "Maybe it's just a façade and he's not as rich as he looks."

He sent me a look. "Then how could he possibly afford that bracelet? I'm telling you he's involved with something bad that gets him a lot of money."

"And I'm telling you that you read too much into it," I pointed a finger at him. "How much longer do we have until we get there anywhere."

He shrugged. "About a few minutes. Why?"

"He texted me asking how far we were," I mumbled as I read my phone. I typed a response quickly with, 'Just around the corner' even though I wasn't exactly sure. "I'm not sure if he's going to want to talk to me with you there."

"So?" He rolled his eyes. "That sounds like a personal problem."

"Can you just wait outside?" I pleaded. "I'll call you if I need anything."

"See I believe that and I trust you. But you know I don't trust him."

I sighed in defeat. "I know."

"And this is for your protection," he said. "And to ease my anxieties."

I blew a raspberry before looking out the window. I understood that he was just looking out for me but I still didn't like this. I wanted to be able to talk to Gray without Justin being there. All Justin saw was competition when I would never leave Justin for Gray. I wouldn't leave him at all. I was already way in too deep and it was scary. It was scary how I was feeling because I was almost certain that I—

"Say something," he said softly. "I hope you're not mad at me. You know I'm doing this because I care about you."

I sighed. "I know and I appreciate it."

He slipped his fingers through mine and kissed my hand. He continued to hold my hand even as we drove and I found my nerves beginning to settle. I continued to look out the window as everything flew by i'm an almost blur. Surely, we pulled up to the house quickly.

"Are you sure he lives here?" Justin asked as he surveyed the house. "This looks kind of...dirty and run down. No offense to your friend or anything it just doesn't look like anyone lives here."

Sure enough it was large but there were broken windows and plants that stood tall. I couldn't even see the door from where we were, that's how tall the plants stood.

"You're right..." I trailed off before taking out my phone.

I decided it would be best to call him. It took a while before he answered and he sounded tired.

"Hello?" He asked groggily.

"Gray?" I asked, scrunching up my eyebrows. "I'm outside right now. Are you sure you wanted to meet me here? This place looks kind of run—"

"Serenity, run. They're going to try and kill—" He tried to rush out before there was a groan in pain.

I turned to Justin quickly. "It's a trap," I screamed.