chapter forty

Serenity's POV

I woke up to the rhythmic beeps. It didn't take much for me to realize I was in the hospital. The smell, the light, the noise. I still felt insanely groggy and my eyes felt heavy. My eyes wanted to open but they couldn't and I think I fell asleep again. When I could finally open my eyes, they moved around the room.

Korina was sitting closely, her hand tight on mine and her head leaning on the bed. I didn't know how long she had been there but she seemed awfully uncomfortable. I frowned and tried to nudge her. She stirred and looked up at me with wide eyes. "You're awake. Oh God, you're awake." She hugged me quickly. "I missed you. I thought I lost you."

I felt overwhelmed as so many sentences left her mouth. My brain felt like mush and all I could do was stare at her.

"What happened?" I asked hoarsely. "And where's Justin?"

She sent me a sympathetic look. "You don't remember?"

I shook my head. "The last thing I remember was," I squeezed my eyes shut, "laying in bed with Cole on top of me. Please don't tell me he... forced himself on me. And please don't tell me Justin and Gray are dead," I croaked.

She rubbed my hand. "You don't have to worry about that. Justin said he didn't get to do anything to you. The doctors here think that you just passed out and fell after your allergic reaction. They say you have a minor concussion and you should be able to go home in a few days. Gray on the other hand is in the ICU. He was beat up pretty badly."

I put my hand to my forehead. "I fucked this up. This is all my fault."

"It's not your fault, Serenity," she said softly.

"They went so far back in my past to get to Gray. He was innocent. He didn't deserve this," I whimpered.

"Your family is in the waiting room. We've been alternating because only one person can be in the room at a time."

I swallowed. "Where is he?"

She sighed. "He wanted to be here."

"Where is he, Korina?" I repeated, my voice dropping to a whisper.

"He's back at the house recovering from the gunshot—"

"What the fuck?" I asked in shock. "He got shot? When? By who? Was it Daniel?" I took the bed sheet off of my legs and threw my legs over. "I need to go to him. I need to see him—"

She pushed me back before I get out of the bed. "No, you need to relax. You'll see him when you get out."

I whimpered. "No. I–I need to see him now. I need to tell him how I feel. I need to hold him. I was so fucking scared I would never get to hold him again. I want to see him now."

"I'm sorry, Serenity but it's doctor's orders. Your health is way more important right now," she said. "I'll tell the nurses that you're up and your family."

"Can I at least see Gray?" I asked with a frown.

"I'll ask them later," she muttered before she left.

When the nurses came in, we discussed my health. She told me that I could leave in a few days and thankfully that I could see Gray later. My dad came in and we talked briefly for a while. Even my mom came in and the conversation wasn't bad but brief. However, when Marissa came in she looked strange. She sat in the seat that Korina previously was sat in and looked at me.

"Are you okay?" I asked. I had never seen her this serious.

"I can't believe you're asking me this right now," she scoffed. "I am completely and utterly pissed at you right."