chapter twenty nine

Serenity's POV

I stared at her for what seemed like forever. The words didn't register at first. It took me blinking a few times and sitting in silence to finally realize what she had said. I was shocked—stunned. I legitimately didn't know what to say.

"You're what?" I asked slowly. Maybe I was hearing things?

"I'm not anything—hopefully. I just—I just think I'm pregnant," she mumbled, looking away from me. "I'm two weeks late. It's never been like this before."

"What are you gonna do?" I asked.

"I have no fucking idea," she let out a deep breath, rubbing her forehead. "I'm only twenty years old. I can't be having a fucking baby I am a baby!"

I laughed softly. "Blue, people your age get pregnant all the time."

"Yeah, but I'm not ready to have a baby. This lifestyle wouldn't provide a stable environment for a baby. I wouldn't want to bring them into this mess," she frowned.

"Are you gonna tell him?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No, no I can't do that. If anything, I'll just go get an abortion."

"Why wouldn't you want him to know? Don't you think he has a right—"

"What do I have the right to know?" Avery asked.

In that moment, Blue and I just stared at one another in complete shock. We hadn't heard him come back down the steps. In fact, it couldn't have been a worse time for him to tune into the conversation.

Blue turned to him, a panicked look on her face. "Nothing."

Avery furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean nothing?"

I suddenly felt like I shouldn't be in the room for this conversation, but I felt too frozen in my seat to move.

"Exactly what I mean," she tried to laugh it off. She stood up and walked over to him, standing on her toes. "Let's go up to our room, yeah?"

He pushed her away and it was hard to look at.

"What are you hiding from me?" He asked with an accusatory tone.

She shook her head. "Nothing."

"If it's nothing then why can't you just tell me?" He asked in annoyance. His eyes landed on me. "What is she hiding?"

I felt like the wind got knocked out of me. How could he just put me on the spot like that? "I-I don't think it's my place to tell you."

"Are you cheating on me?" His voice dropped.

Her eyes widened. "What? No. You know I would never do that to you."

"Well, I don't know what I fucking believe, Haylie since you won't fucking tell me what you're hiding."

It was odd seeing things being so tense with Avery and Blue. They both seemed nonconfreatational and fit well together. I had never really seen them actually argue and it was making me nervous just watching.

"Avery, baby, c'mon. Let's just forget this happened."

"No. Tell me what you were telling her."

"Ugh!" She groaned. "I just think I'm pregnant that's all!"

He seemed shocked for a moment or two, taking her all in. "And you weren't going to fucking inform me that you might be pregnant? You don't think that I have the right to know?"

She seemed at a loss for words. "I-I'm sorry I just—"

"I don't want to hear it."

He turned to walk away and she grabbed his arm. "Avery, please I'm sorry."