chapter twenty two

Serenity's POV

We both stood there, staring at one another. I was afraid to speak. What could I possibly say without it either sounding like a lie or just plain stupid? I had a feeling if I opened my mouth the only words that would come out is incoherent stammers and consistent stuttering.

"I would love to hear the excuse you have to save yourself now," he said, obviously referencing to the situation.

I felt a little ticked off. "I don't need to give you an excuse for anything. You're not my boyfriend," I muttered in annoyance. I crossed my arms, trying to give him a false sense that I was feeling way more confident than I actually did. The truth was, I would much rather crawl into bed and cry.

He raised an eyebrow, a smirk pulling at his lips. "But you want me to be."
I just stood there, lost for words. I couldn't even deny it, because it'd be a lie. But something was holding me back from admitting it. The best bet was pretending like I didn't hear it.

"I really want to explain myself, okay," I started. "I'm sorry and I know you don't like apologies but I'm sorry. I wasn't snooping, I found them when you told me to go in the medicine cabinet when you were sick. I didn't mean to find them but I did and I'm sorry."

He uncrossed his arms for a moment. "I should be the one apologizing. I should've listened to you before I went off. I knew you would assume, but those pills aren't recent. They're from three years ago, everything was really bad then. I had just left home, I was all alone even though I had Daniel and Avery. It was just a really dark time for me but I'm better now," he coughed.

"Are you sure?" I asked hesitantly.

He nodded. "I realized I have so much to be grateful for. Things have been a lot better since then. And things have been even better lately." The look he was giving me set off butterflies in my stomach. I took a step towards him and he stood up straighter. I walked until I was in his arms. I leaned up, kissing his lips. I felt him pull my closer, his hand slipping under my shirt and resting on my lower back. The kiss didn't last long because of the footsteps so I broke the kiss, backing away.

Daniel come up the steps, his gaze on me. I stiffened under his heavy gaze. He walked in between us, bumping my shoulder. I faltered back a little on impact before he went into his room.

Justin raised an eyebrow at me.

"What was that?" He asked and I shook my head.

"Nothing it was probably an accident," I lied warily. I knew he'd be mad if I told him the truth. I didn't want him to be angry. "I think I'm going to go to sleep. I feel drained."

He nodded. "Want me to come with?"

I shook my head. "I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" He asked worriedly. I tried not to look into his eyes. I knew I would breakdown again.

"Yes."

I turned and walked to his room. I closed the door behind me and threw myself on the bed. I wasn't wanted here. Daniel made that pretty clear. I wasn't even wanted at home. I felt pretty shitty, I couldn't stop the tears from dropping. Not even to mention I was very worried that Cole could possibly still be alive and try to come back and hurt me.

I heard the door open a few minutes later, I had my head buried in the pillow. I heard shifting in the room before someone climbed on the bed. I was wrapped in warm arms, my head being pulled out of the pillow and laid on his chest.

"I hope you know you're a terrible liar," he muttered before kissing my forehead.

I cracked a small smile. "I'll try to be better at it next time."