chapter ten

Serenity Morales

The week went by quickly. My parents were out of town, yet again. Of course that meant Marissa was throwing a party and this time, I actually got dressed for one. I slipped on a peach baby doll dress that hugged me, but not too much. Also complementing my outfit by putting on some pumps to help set the look, some jewelry added as well. My hair was curled and half was pinned up as I let the other half flow down my back. Of course I applied some makeup that I hopped to look natural, only my lips were red that stuck out on my face.

I hadn't seen Korina, Lucas or Justin within the first hours of the party. They came later, around twelve in the morning with Blue and Avery. I hugged them all and thanked them for helping me maintain my sanity considering I hated parties. I decided to try to stop being negative and to actually enjoy the party for once, but so far that mission was failing ultimately.

I was sipping some of my margarita when a guy approached me. Considering I was slouched against the wall in an extremely unladylike and unflattering manner, I had to make sure it was me he was approaching. I wasn't drunk nor tipsy, but I had a feeling I was on my way there.

This unknown guy, smiled. He looked somewhere around twenty, nice bright blue eyes and messy blonde hair that looked soft to the touch. I had to refrain from reaching out and touching it. He stood over me, obviously being taller, but gave me enough breathing room as he gave me a breathtaking smile.

"I saw you from across the room and I couldn't help but notice how beautiful you are. If I do say so myself, you are much more beautiful up close." He grabbed my free hand softly, raising it to his lips. My lips parted a little in shock, biting the inside of my cheek. Did some guy just take interest in me?

I knew I was blushing as I stammered to find something to say. "T-Thank you," I tried to maintain my voice, but I knew it shook. He was very handsome and when you're me, random hot guys don't just come up to you and call you beautiful. I was in sort of a shocked state.

"What's your name, beautiful?" He asked, smiling softly, still holding my hand.

Now I could do two things. I could lie and say that I was Faith, my alias that I picked up ever since that night I had to be the 'temptress'. It sort of became a habit to use instead of my actual name whenever some creep hit on me. Seeming as he seemed nowhere close to creepy, I could just tell him my actual name.

He was still looking at me, his eyebrow raising slightly, awaiting my answer. I know he must have thought I was weird staring at him and not answering back. Way to go, Serenity.

"Serenity," I said, smiling uneasily. "And you are?" I decided to ask politely.

"Carter," he answered, stroking the back of my hand with his finger. "Do you want to dance?"

I thought about it for a moment. Then I realized, I should stop thinking so much and actually enjoy the moment. All of my life, I tended to overthinking and overanalyze everything. But right now, all I wanted to do was let go.

I nodded, finishing the last sip of my drink and placing it on the table. Empty of course, even if I left anything in it, I'm smart enough not to get roofied.

Dancing with Carter was fun, turns out he was a giant goofball. He made me laugh a lot and that was something that I looked for in a guy. He was perfect.

I was dancing on him, my back to his chest when I felt eyes on me. I brushed it off knowing that it was a party so there had to be someone looking at me. I continued swaying my hips to the music, but with my wandering eyes, I found myself looking back at Justin. He was leaning against the wall as I was doing earlier, drinking out of a red solo cup. I saw some girl next to him, seeing as to try and get his attention, but it seemed to be focused elsewhere. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, the look on his face was unreadable. I don't think he ever let his guard down and if he did, it was rare.