Ch. 24

It has been a week since the fire, and we have been living in a hotel room. Today however, Christen and I are going to look at houses. We hired a realtor in the area, and are heading out today.

"Tobin? What if we don't find a house before the twins are born?"
"Chrissy. Don't think like that. We'll be fine. I bet we find a house today."
"You really think so?"
"I really do. Here we are 37 Ridgeway Road." I said as we pulled into the driveway of the one story ranch house."

"Tobin! Christen!" Our realtor, Tom greeted us.
"Hi Tom."
"You ready for a full day of house hunting?"
"Absolutely." Christen answered.
"Alright well let's head inside."
"Okay lead the way." I told him.

"So this is a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath, 1 story ranch."
"Well, we are gonna need at least 3 bedrooms. We already have one son at home, and two kids on the way." I explained.
"Well, let's not even bother looking then. Come on, I have another one in mind. Put this address in the gps." Tom explained.

"Here we are." I said as we pulled into the driveway of the two story Cape Cod house.
"This is beautiful." Christen marveled.
"Yes it is isn't it?" Tom asked as he came up behind us. "Shall we head inside?" He gestured towards the open door. 
"Wow. This is. um. Interesting?" Christen said as we walked into the entryway that was falling apart. 
"Interesting indeed." Tom agreed. "But in your price range with your requirements."
Christen and I nodded in agreement, and carefully walked around the run down house. Once we were done, we stepped outside.
"So what did you think?" Tom asked.
"Well, it has really nice curb appeal, I just don't think we can deal with a fixer-upper at the moment."
"Well, I have one more to show. I think you'll like it." 

We hopped back into the car, and drove to the final house. This was a beautiful two story contemporary style home with a wraparound porch at the front.
"Tobin. I love it." Christen breathed.
"Well, let's see the inside. We liked the last one from the outside too, remember?"
"Yeah." She giggled. 
"Let's see the inside ladies." Tom suggested.

He opened the door, and we entered into a beautiful entryway, with the stairs a few feet in front. Once upstairs, we stopped to look over the railing, and were met by this huge window with a distant view of the Chicago skyline. 
"Woah." I breathed.
"Woah is right." Christen agreed. We continued around the upstairs, and peeked into the first bedroom. 
"This is a good size room." Chris wondered aloud.
"Yeah it is. I'll be right back, okay babe?"
"Okay. I'll wait here for you."

I left the room and dragged Tom outside into the hall.
"Tom?" I asked in a warning tone.
"Yes?"
"How much is this house?" I gritted through my teeth.
"Uhh $375,000."
"So $75,000 over our max budget?"
"Yes but it has everything you need. 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, a huge backyard, and even a finished basement."
"That's great and all, but I don't know if we can afford this, and now I think my hormonal, pregnant wife is in love with it. Get what I'm saying?"
"I'm sorry Tobin. I just was showing you guys a realistic price for your wishlist. Now I have to make a phone call, but please walk around and come get me if you have any questions."
"Will do. Thanks."
Ugh what am I gonna do? I walked in, and stood in the door frame when I saw Christen. The huge bay window in what would be Caden's room let in the afternoon rays of sun, and it framed her physique perfectly. She had her hand resting on her stomach, and she was whispering to it. Her black hair fell at just the right length to frame her face in a manner that couldn't be described as anything but beautiful. The rays of the sun accentuating every curve, every muscle, every inch just perfectly. She looked so content, something I hadn't seen since the fire. 
"You love this house?" I asked, breaking the silence.
"I do."
"It's $75,000 over budget." I explained and her face fell.
"Let's go see the rest of it before making a decision."
"Okay."

We headed downstairs, and saw the newly renovated open kitchen and living room. We headed out the back sliding door to the large fenced in yard. 
"Wow. This is huge." I marveled. "Imagine this. Soccer net in that corner, pool over there, maybe a trampoline?" I said pointing out everything as I spoke. 
"You're such a dork." Christen chuckled. "We probably won't be able to buy the house." She said this with a hint of disappointment that wasn't too hard to pick up on. 
"Christen Annemarie Heath-Press. I am going to ask you one time, and one time only. Do you love this house."
"Yes. I love this house."
"Okay. Then let's go and talk to Tom. I think we have some paperwork to sign."
"But can we do it?"
"Of course we can. We'll use the money from the safe for the down payment, then we can get loans and do what we need to make this work. Ever since I saw how content and at peace you were upstairs, there wasn't even a question." I explained. 
"Tobin Powell Heath-Press. I love you so much." She said as she pulled me in for a gentle kiss on the lips, so soft, so sweet, yet so passionate.
"Christen Annemarie Heath-Press, I love you so much. Now, let's go sign some papers.

THREE WEEKS LATER

We were just settling into the new house. Caden finally got used to sleeping in a new place, and Lobo finally calmed down. He was really enjoying the big yard. Tom had actually been able to get the price down to $348,000 so that was a huge help for us. Christen and I were sitting on the back porch watching Caden run around with Lobo when Christen gasped out of nowhere. 
"Chris? What's the matter?"
"Tobin. My water just broke. I'm going into labor."
"Okay. Here's the deal. Orlando is in town. I am going to call Alex, okay? She's out of training right now, and she'll watch Caden for now. Please just stay calm okay? Everything is under control. Caden! Come here bubs!" I called calmly. I wasn't calm. At all.
"What mama?"
"Can you stay here with Mommy for me while I run inside to call Auntie Alex?"
"Okay mama." He said climbing onto Christen's lap, her breathing intensifying.

I headed inside and dialed Alex. 

"Hello?"
"Alex! Can you come to the house like now?" I basically yelled into the receiver.
"Yeah what's wrong Tobin? You sound like you're gonna pass out."
"There's a good chance. Christen's water broke."
"Oh. Okay I'll be there in ten minutes with Ash."
"Okay please hurry." With that I hung up and grabbed the bag that I had packed for a week for this very instance and ran out to the car with it. I flung open the door, threw the bag in and didn't bother to shut the door. I sprinted to the back porch, and opened the door to find Caden with his little arms wrapped around Christen's neck, and his head on her chest. Chris was taking deep deep breaths, and holding Caden to her. 
"Caden. Come here buddy." I said. He unwrapped his arms from Chris and he climbed over to me. 
"What's wrong with mommy?" He asked with his bottom lip quivering.
"Mommy's gonna have the babies." I explained. "And Aunt Alex and Ash are coming over to play with you while I take mommy to the place where she's gonna have the babies."
"Oh okay."

A few minutes later, Alex and Ash barge into the house. 
"Hey we got here as fast as we could." Alex panted. 
"Thank you guys. So so much." 
"Yeah no problem." Ash answered. 
"Ash will you help support her to the car?"
"Yeah. Ready Press?"
"Yes." She gritted and pushed up with her arms, and Ash and I each caught her under her arms and supported her to the car. We got her in the passenger seat, and took off towards the hospital, Chris's breathing intensifying the whole way.
"Breathe baby. Just breathe." I squeezed her hand the whole way to the hospital. I parked and we walked into the front desk, where they assigned Christen to a room. 
"Ready Mrs. Heath-Press?" The doctor asked.
Christen and I nodded in response.

AN: hehe I'm mean. Don't hate me... maybe I'll put one out tomorrow... Please let me know what you thought! I really appreciate your feedback as always!