Ch. 36

"Look at me Chris. He will be fine."

"And if he isn't?"

"Then we face it head on. Like we always do."

"But the dream?"

"Christen I had a dream that I was in the Purge once. That never happened."

"I guess you're right." She sighed. We were waiting for the results of Grayson's screening.

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" Grayson said excitedly.

"What's up buddy?"

"When can I play soccer again? And baseball?"

"I don't know. Once the doctor says you're all better."

"Okay. I feel all better though." He sighed.

"That's good! Hopefully the doctor says that you're all better today."

"Mama. Mama. Mama."

"Yes Graykey?"

"I'm starving." He groaned.

"Y-you. You are?" Christen gasped. For the past year, it had been an absolute struggle to get Grayson to eat anything. He never asked for food, and all he wanted to do was sleep. Now, he was groaning for food and essentially bouncing off the walls. I had a very good feeling about this. As I was thinking about it, I turned up my palms in prayer.

Holy and loving God, I turn to you in a prayer of request. I know I have asked for a lot lately, but I truly believe that you have worked a miracle in out little boy. So on this 23rd of December, two days before the most important of our faith, I ask you and request of you to perform another Christmas miracle. And although I trust You wholeheartedly, and trust you will keep him safe when his time is come, I am not ready to let go. So, dear God, if I ask of you one thing, it would be to allow my baby boy to live his life. In the name of your son, Jesus Christ, Amen.

I looked over at Chris and Grayson, and smiled. Christen was reading to Grayson quietly, and he was beaming up at her. I had a really good feeling about this appointment.

"Hey guys. Can I join in on story time?"

"Yeah mama!" Grayson chirped. "You read this one after mommy is done." He instructed.

"Ooh! Oh The Places You'll Go. My favorite."

I settled in and began to read.

Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to great places! You're off and away!

"Christen. Tobin. Little Gray. How are you guys today?"

"Tell you once you tell us what's up." Christen laughed. Grayson was getting giddy, and I had to hold him still.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know who you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

"Well we have gotten the results back from Grayson's screening."

I felt Christen's tensions rise next to me, so I put my hand on her thigh to calm her down.

You'll look up and down streets. Look 'em over with care. About some you'll say, 'I don't choose to go there.' With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you're too smart to go down any not-so-good street. And you may not find any you want to go down. In that case, of course, you head straight out of town.