Ch. 32

It's been 8 months. 8 months with not much improvement. Here we were, sitting in the doctor's office, waiting for the results of Grayson's umpteenth round of chemo. He was sleeping in Tobin's arms at the moment. His weight had significantly dropped, his eyes had set back in his head, and his spirit has seemingly gone. From the looks of it, this wasn't going to be good news. Tobin and I made eye contact and we gave each other a sympathetic look.

"You okay?" She mouthed.

"Not really." I sighed. Before she had time to answer, the doctor strolled in with a somber look on his face. Uh oh.

"Christen. Tobin. How are you?" He nodded at us.

"I'll tell you in like five minutes." Tobin gritted.

The doctor sighed and continued. "I'm afraid there's been some changes. Unfortunately in the past month, Grayson has stopped responding to the chemo and radiation therapies."

"What does that mean?" I whispered out in shock.

"Well, it means that our last hope is for a bone marrow transplant. If it's not soon, Grayson has about a month.

"He wouldn't live to be three." I breathed out in shock. "Do you have any donors?"

"Not at the moment, no."

"What's his blood type?" Christen asked hopefully.

"Grayson is blood type O negative, which is unfortunately very rare."

"I thought if you were O, you could receive any type?" Tobin questioned.

"No, O can give to any type. It can only receive O negative however."

"Oh. How can we check?" Tobin asked.

"We can run some tests here if you'd like."

"Yes go right ahead." I said. The doctor took Tobin in for testing first and I held Grayson in the office. He actually began to stir in my arms.

"Mommy?" He rasped.

"Hi Graykey."

"Mommy where are we?"

"At the doctor's."

"Where mama?"

"She's with the doctor."

"Why? Mama okay?"

"Yeah she just is gonna see if she can help you get better."

"Oh okay. Mommy? I gonna be okay?"

Every time he asked that, I said yes, but I couldn't keep lying to him anymore. He was almost three. The twins birthday was in a month. "Well buddy. I don't know. I can't say yes anymore."

"Why not? I gonna die?"

"I don't know Grayson. I don't know."

"Mommy? I'm not gonna die. I'm gonna stay." He said bravely making me smile. "I promise."

"Okay buddy. You need to fight."

"I fight mommy."

Soon, Tobin returned and I looked up at her hopefully, to which she retuned with a slight shake no. I sighed and passed Grayson up to her and followed the doctor out.

"Okay christen. We're going to run some simple blood tests to determine your blood type. Okay?"

"Yep."

Once I was finished with the tests, I awaited the results.

"Okay Christen. You are unfortunately type B, and therefore not a match."