ch 43

Tobin's comeback went amazing. She didn't get the start, but she got subbed in during the 73rd minute. She threaded Alex down the middle, and Alex tucked it in the bottom left corner.

The kids and I didn't get to make the trip, but we were watching on TV. They went ballistic when Alex scored. As soon as we saw they left the pitch, I picked up my phone to call Tobin. Just as I was about to dial her number, my phone lit up with a picture of Tobin with a goofy grin on her face.

"Hey Toby!"

"Hi Chrissy!" Her voice rang out with pure elation.

"How was it?"

"It was so exhilarating! I can't believe how much I've missed it. The fans really missed me, you don't realize how many people had signs! It was amazing!"

"You played well, too. You always do."

"Thanks babe. Hey I have to go catch the bus. Give the kids a kiss for me, okay?"

"Alright. I'll see you tomorrow. Your plane lands at three, right?"

"Uh huh, see you then. I love you!"

"Love you, too!"

I hung up with Tobin, and had to get the kids to bed. I let them stay up to watch the game, but it was late now.

Once they were settled, I climbed into bed myself, and fell asleep shortly after.

The next day, we had to get to the airport for 3:00 in order to pick up Tobin. It was 2:00, and I finally managed to get everyone in the car. We took off towards the airport, and waited by gate D for Tobin upon our arrival.

"Look there's Mama!" Emersyn pointed and dashed off. I hadn't seen Tobin, so I wasn't sure if she was mistaken. Naturally I followed her, and thank god the boys were smart enough to follow me. Sure enough, Emmy was right and Tobin was coming down the escalator.

"Mama!" Grayson exclaimed and took off towards his twin.

Tobin finally made her way to me with Grayson in her arms, and EK latched onto her calf.

"Come on, EK," I laughed and pried her off of Tobin.

"I've missed you, Chris," She whispered as she wrapped me in a hug and kissed my cheek.

"I missed you too, Tobs," I smiled into her lips.

"Let's get home."

We walked out to the car as a family, with EK on Tobin's shoulders with one hand stabilizing her, Grayson holding her other hand, and Caden holding mine.

That night, we enjoyed our time as a family for the first time in close to three weeks. In another month or so, Tobin would have to go back to camp, which would be a huge factor in Jill deciding whether or not she'd be on the World Cup roster, but for now we enjoy each other's presence.

"What do you guys want to do today?" Tobin asked the next morning.

"I dunno," rang the all familiar chorus.

"Well, I have an idea," Tobin smirked.

"And what would that be?" I asked, playing dumb.

Tobin moved into the back room, and came back with a box.

"I know how much you guys love puzzles, so here's one to do."