Ch. 29

The doctor left and Christen stared, dumbfounded at her son.
"Hey Mommy?"
"Hi Gray." She choked out, knowing that she was gonna have to explain it to him.
"Mommy what's wrong with me?"
"Well Graykey. You have what's called cancer."
"Mommy what's that?" He asked a stressed and dysfunctional Christen. She sat on his bed and looked at her son.
"Uh well you're sick buddy. Very sick. And you'll have to come to the doctors a lot. Maybe one time a week." Christen explained.
Grayson was silent for a few minutes, before he crawled into his mother's lap.
"Mommy. I'm gonna be okay?" He questioned.
"You're gonna be okay Graykers." She comforted her panicking son.
"Mommy I want mama." He cried.
"I know. I'm gonna call her okay?"
"Okay."
Christen whipped out her phone and called Tobin.

"Hey Chris! We won!"
"That's great Tobin." She said with false enthusiasm.
"Chris what's the matter?"
"Um. Can you come home like now?" Christen said, her voice wavering.
"Christen what's the matter?"
"Tobin, Grayson is sick."
"Okay Chris we've dealt with sick kids before. I'll be home in two days." Tobin said, thinking Grayson had a cold or something.
"No Tobin. Like really sick." Christen cried.
"Like as in the flu?"
"No Tobin. Grayson has cancer."
Christen heard the phone hit the floor, but she stayed on the line for a few minutes. Eventually Tobin spoke again.
"Cancer?" She sobbed.
"Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia." Christen answered simply.
"Chris." She breathed. "I'll be on the next flight."
"Can you talk to him? He's asking for you."
"Yeah give him the phone."
Christen handed Grayson the phone, and Tobin spoke to him.
"Mama?"
"Hi Graykey. I'm coming home now buddy."
"Hurry up mama. I miss you." Grayson cried.
"I miss you too buddy. I gotta go now so I can come home okay?"
"Okay. Bye mama."
"Bye Graykers. I love you."
"Love you too." Grayson said.

{WITH TOBIN}

Tobin hung up with her son and slid down the wall she was leaning against, buried her face in her hands and began to sob. Right in the middle of the hotel lobby. People gave her strange looks, but eventually Julie walked down.
"Tobin?" She exclaimed rushing to the older woman's side.
"Julie." She breathed.
"Tobin what happened? Are you okay?"
"N-no."
"Tobin. Breathe."
"G-gray." Tobin sobbed.
"What about Gray?"
"Sick."
"Okay. What kind of sick? Flu? Pneumonia?"
"N-no." By this point, Julie was becoming very confused, but seemed to be getting nowhere with Tobin, seeing as she could barely string together a sentence.
"Okay Tobs. Take my phone and type out what happened." Julie instructed. Tobin took the phone, and went into the note pad, and typed out, Chris just called me and told me that Grayson has Acute Lymphotic Leukemia. I need to get home will you come? Tobin flashed the phone at Julie and she drew her hand to her mouth.
"Tobin." She exhaled with tears brimming. She pulled Tobin up, and roped her into a hug. "I'm so sorry Tobs. Of course I'll come with you."
"We need to go right now." Tobin spoke the first full sentence that she had since her phone call with Christen. "I'll pack both of our things if you go tell coach."
"Okay let's go." Julie said, and she and Tobin headed to their respective places.

{WITH CHRISTEN AND GRAYSON}

"Graykers the doctor said we can go home now." Christen said to her son as she reentered the room.
"Mommy will you carry me?"
"Yeah I'll carry you baby." Chris picked Grayson up, and carried him out to the car. Once they arrived at home, Grayson was asleep in the back seat, so Chris carried him in, and laid him in his bed.
"I love you Graykers." She whispered. Once she was done, she went and found Marissa, Logan, Caden, Emersyn, and Lobo in the backyard.
"Hi." She said sitting down on the swing next to Marissa.
"Hey how is he?"
"Um not good. At all."
"Oh no. What's the diagnosis?" Marissa asked Christen.
"Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia."
"Cancer?" Marissa gasped, to which Christen just nodded. "I'm so sorry, Chris. The other two have been missing you though."
"Thank you so much for doing this." Christen said while wiping her tears.
"Anytime."